Citing non-academic resources

Things I have tried

Searching through several articles targeting Obsidian and citations (bibliographies).

What I’m trying to do

Find a method for easily generating references to non-academic web pages within my web browser.

I’m a technology worker who is investigating Obsidian (and the zettelkasten method) to see if it can improve my daily workflows. A large portion of my information comes from technology blogs and news outlets - basically non-academic resources. A lot of the feedback I’m getting when searching around how to manage this in Obsidian is almost exclusively targeting academic journals/research databases.

I’m struggling to find a non-intrusive method to easily generate references to these various sources when generating my notes. Any tips for how to accomplish this?

I use ZoteroBib for that use-case.
For some websites it might not pick up the right name/author etc. on the first try, but you can customize the fields and just do a quick “copy all” when you’ve input all your sources. Maybe takes a few seconds longer than copypasting a “raw” link into your notes, but keeping a neat reference list is way more useful to me.

For bonus efficiency:
If you use the Vivaldi Browser, you can either add ZoteroBib to your web panels or - if you only want to reference a single URL - add ZoteroBib as a search-engine shortcut into your browser, e.g. by typing

zbib <url_to_the_article_you_want_to_reference> into your address bar, you’ll immediately get the reference result as soon as you press enter. The search engine URL needs to be: https://zbib.org/import?q=%S

Thanks for the tip. It’s too bad they don’t offer a Chrome extension for it. Any idea how difficult it is to move to their main app (Zotero) for a use-case like this? The only reason I ask is that’s where they’ve developed all of their browser plugins.

Try the Zotero Extension for Chrome or any browser built on Chrome.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.