Choosing installation location

Until about a couple of versions ago, I was able to choose the install location. This is important, because I don’t have administrator privileges and am in effect running Obsidian in portable mode. In the past couple of versions, Obsidian installs automatically when I click on the downloaded.exe file, and I get an error message saying that it’s not associated with a default program. The error message gives a long pathway to a Folder in AppData. I learned from trial and error that I can copy the Obsidian folder from that pathway and paste it into where I have previously installed Obsidian, and have it work after that. Is there an easier way to control where Obsidian is installed? Thanks.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree, this is a new and really bad trend, especially among Electron Developers, they use that Squirrel installer or what it is called, even Microsoft dev. lab has started jumping on this trend…

There are multiple software that could have been great tools, that I stopped using because of this… Not because I don’t have admin rights, but because I shall be the one in control of where a software package are installed on my computer…

This is one of main reason Obsidian are still only in a test phase for me…
It’s actually a game stopper for anyone that care of security and control of their own computer.

4 Likes

I believe you’ll need to file a #feature-requests for this.