Checking a todo doesn't check all its sub-todoes

Steps to reproduce

Write something like this:

- [ ] todo
	- [ ] sub-todo 1
	- [ ] sub-todo 2

Expected result

In preview mode, checking todo should check and strike through all its sub todoes
In editor mode, checking todo should check with x all its sub todoes

Actual result

In preview mode, checking todo strikes through all its sub todoes but non checks them
In editor mode, checking todo does nothing.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 1909 64 bit
  • Obsidian version: 0.9.1

Additional information

I wouldn’t call that a bug. This is a feature request.

I personally wouldn’t want a bunch of checkboxes automatically checked. I would find that annoying and destructive to my own workflow. It makes a huge assumption about what your nesting means. For me, nesting is purely organizational, not a rigid linear hierarchy or timeline.

4 Likes

Ok, I see your point but the behaviour of Obsidian is not coherent. In fact, if you check a checkbox in preview moede, Obsidian automatically strikes through all its sub todoes.
a

As you see in image, it doesn’t check them, as I request here, but it still strikes through all its sub todoes and strikesthrough means that you have done that todo.
So, Obsidin should behave like I requested or it shouldn’t even automatically strike through all its sub todoes.

I don’t like this behavior but you shouldn’t like it either.

2 Likes

Ah I see! This doesn’t happen on my end, because my CSS doesn’t cross-out my tasks.

This might be a CSS issue. But now I understand, and agree with you. It shouldn’t cross out those tasks, unless it also checks them off.

2 Likes

It does on my 0.9.3, under no influence of CSS.

checkedtaskstrikesthroughallchild

final screen
checkedtaskstrikesthroughallchild

In fact this is not the only inconsistency between Preview and Edit. I reported auto-renumbering issue of numbered lists which happened to Editor view (but not Preview) on 0.9.1, not under influence of CSS. The issue still exists today (0.9.3).

For that bug, please see Nested checkboxes strikethrough through entire block.

2 Likes

I’m glad you agree with me.
I have no personalized CSS. I’using Obsidian as it is out of box.