Change pinning behaviour, so panes are "properly" pinned

Use case or problem

What “pinning” seems to mean in practice is that when links are clicked, a new window is opened. This is very useful. However, pinned windows may be accidentally closed, by clicking on the cross, or using a shortcut key. I seem to do this quite a lot, especially if I have a large number of windows open.

Proposed solution

Introduce “proper” pinning. This would entail that you cannot close a pinned window at all. The only way to do so would be to unpin the window first.

10 Likes

Ti completely prevent closing would be too harsh IMO, but a warning dialog would be nice when you try to close a pinned pane.

1 Like

I agree with the OP. I often use a shortcut key to close windows and I don’t want to accidentally close a pinned tab when pressing CTRL+W

1 Like

I agree this would be very helpful.

1 Like

Oh yes please! I’ve been closing my pinned tabs constantly with using “Close all other tabs”.

I have only 2 pinned tabs/files open, which are kind of my dashboard. And then there’s my files I work on, read in, etc. Once this becomes an overload on tabs, I’d like to use “Close all other tabs” (hotkey cmd+shft+w) to close all other tabs, except for the current open tab and the pinned tabs.

1 Like

Yes please to this one! I initially had thought that the implementation of pinning was a bug. I even wrote a bug report: Pinned tab should not be closed using cmd/ctrl+W

It turns out that it was designed that way. Glad to see others agree that pinned tabs need to be protected from accidental closing somehow. The way that Firefox pinned tabs work seems to be the most consistent and useful.

2 Likes