Carriage return doesn't work in reading mode,

Steps to reproduce

I click on the eyeglass icon, in the upper right of the document editing field, to enter the “reading” view

Expected result

In the reading view I expect to see text on a new line wherever there is a carriage return.

Actual result

I see text on the same line where there’s supposed to be a carriage return. The carriage return works properly in the edit view, but not in the “reading” aka “live” view.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.19
    Installer version: v0.12.19
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

I just noticed that some of my links aren’t working in reading view either while others do work. The ones that don’t work show the markdown (e.g. [[link]]).

I took a short screen capture video to show the issue.

In the Options, on the Editor tab under “Display”, there’s an option called “Strict Line Breaks” - do you have that toggled on?

1 Like

Bingo!!! Thanks! Any ideas on some links not working? Here’s another video.

please copy paste or attach that file.

Project - Modify behavior - Eat right and exercise.md (1.8 KB)

I just noticed I had put an

before that line. When I removed it, the problem resolved. Why would that cause a problem?

In the new WYSIWYG editor, when the cursor is on the line, the markdown shows. You can enable the Legacy Editor to keep the editor in markdown mode for the whole note.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.