Canvas: Nested canvas

First off, Canvas is amazing and I love it. Hepta and scrintal went some way to solving some of the missing pieces but I never made the move because the rest of obsidian was so good.

Use case or problem

The way I am using visual notes on canvas is to synth, theme and sensemaking on my notes from literature.

Step 1. Read the literature and create a .md note with the key takeaways
Step 2. Pull out the key takeaways into separate cards
Step 3. Group and theme these (each theme may have another canvas which I can drop it into)
Step 4. Summarise the themes

Proposed solution

Hepta lets you nest canvas (called whiteboards in Hepta) which is really handy. Essentially you can drag cards or notes into other canvas.

Current workaround (optional)

Copy and paste

15 Likes

Hepta and scrintal went some way to solving some of the missing pieces but I never made the move because the rest of obsidian was so good.

My thoughts exactly. x2 for nesting canvases, this would allow a true MOC to be created with various levels without having to have one huge canvas.

2 Likes

Nesting is a pretty critical feature.
Enables using canvasses instead of long notes (or folders of notes), which seems a better format when there’s no true linearity in the content.

2 Likes

in some video editor software or in blender (node editor) it’s a called a frame.
that’s a linked feature to the possibility to make groups too…

@callan

You can actually nest a canvas by dragging and dropping. See this thread:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/canvas-objects-inside-canvas/49339/4

There are a lot of shortcomings, though. So this is not a post to say: what you want already works. It’s more to enhance the discussion around useful feature extensions to the REALLY GREAT CANVAS plugin…

I very much like to see it mature quickly into a really smart new way of handling and developing content.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Render Canvas objects inside Canvas