Canvas: minimize connection length (wiggly connection arcs!)

I use the word “edge” below to refer to the edge of a card or note, NOT in the graph theory sense. I’m calling those connections.

Use case or problem

I’ve connected some cards and notes on a canvas. I haven’t really paid much attention to which rectangle edge I’ve used to start and end the connection. When I move the cards around the canvas, the connections are too curvy because they emerge from the wrong side of the cards.

Proposed solution

Two proposals:

• right click a connection and select a menu item to minimize its length (pick two new connection points that minimize the distance of the connection)
  • allow connection points in the center of a card or note. Perhaps you have to hold down a key to activate the center connection point to snap to it.
1 Like

Proposition 2 would make much sense IMO. Maybe some insights could be taken from Scapple, heir connection is always from center. Connections are made by dragging a note to another note.

This is the same issue mentioned in Canvas- Auto-change connection points when connected items are moved and all its related FRs.

Hi @egradman and @liberated_potato

You may be interested in a plugin I wrote yesterday that solves exactly this:

This problem of messy connection lines was a show-stopper for me, but this new plugin helps a lot. It’s not yet available on the official repo, I just filed for it to be included but I don’t know how much time it will take to make it. In the mean time, you can install it using the BRAT plugin.

Cheers!