Canvas: Lock position and size of some cards

Use case or problem

I want to lock position of some cards that I frequently use to prevent accidental movement of the card.

Proposed solution

Locking single card will be as easy as setting a color of a card.
What about bringing reading view mode of normal markdown file additionally?

14 Likes

Use case or problem

Depending on the zoom level you can accidentally click the edge of a node an resize it rather than move it. When you have OCD and do not notice you did this immediately it turns into a mad session of resizing nodes to be similar.

Proposed solution

Add a right click->Lock Dimensions, option for all types of nodes on a canvas.

Current workaround (optional)

Pay careful attention and hit ctrl-z when you do this.

6 Likes

I also would look for a feature like, this, and I’ll add my use case:

Use case or problem

I build Canvas boards as a way to visually lay out my notes grouped by different areas of focus. I use them as “dashboards”. Once I lay out a “dashboard”, I still want to be able to easily edit/update the content within those notes from the dashboard, but rarely want to change the layout/sizing of the canvas cards themselves.

Proposed solution

My use case calls for less granular control, but the following would possibly work

• Add a right click->Lock Dimensions, option for all types of nodes on a canvas
  • Adjust the global lock on a canvas to have a 3rd mode that locks the canvas layout, but still lets you edit the notes instead of being purely read only.

Current workaround (optional)

Pay careful attention and hit ctrl-z when you do this.

1 Like

+1 for this feature. Canvas + Tasks + Dataview is a powerful combo for creating “Dashboards”, and I’d really like to be able to lock the layout/size of a set of cards so I can still edit these cards (including swapping the file for my daily note) but reduce faff of mistakenly moving around cards.

1 Like

+1 would love this. Frustrating.

+1 - I’m a little surprised this isn’t a core feature of the canvas.

The entire canvas can be locked from the settings menu in the top right.

Screenshot from 2024-01-27 21-15-25

But I agree that there could be some improvements to it. Compiling the ones I’ve seen in this thread and in the forum: