Canvas: Add toggle to disable Adding Web-Pages

Use case or problem

In terms of Security, Obsidian is a Electron App, and so far as my knowledge goes Electron isn’t strictly designed for web security in the manner a web browser is designed. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

Currently, with the release of version 1.1, Obsidian’s new Canvas plugin allows for adding in webpages.

Proposed solution

Add a settings area for the Canvas Plugin, with a toggle that disables the adding web-pages feature.

Current workaround (optional)

I simply don’t use the feature…but the option is still there, and I personally don’t like having features be there that I don’t use.

I also from time to time use Obsidian offline on-the-go so I don’t even want to add web-enabled features that would “break” with no internet access.

Related feature requests (optional)

In the Future, possibly even add a feature to disable loading in web-content period–if the toggle is off.

1 Like

This is a non issue. Pages in canvas are added as if they were in chrome, with the same isolation.

2 Likes

Following up with what WhiteNoise said, sites embedded in Obsidian’s canvases are ran in “untrusted” mode - they are completely sandboxed from the rest of the app, they do NOT have access to privileged system APIs, and they are displayed simply like a tab in Chrome.

2 Likes

Amazing! Thank you for educating me on this!

1 Like