Can't use just one underscore without changing formatting

Hello!

I can’t start a word with an underscore without it setting all the text until the next period formatted to italics. I don’t need italics just to have a word typed with an underscore: “word1 _text longword”.

Obsidian: Version 1.5.3 (Installer 1.4.13)
macOS: Ventura 13.6.3

I move it to help because it’s not a bug, it’s deliberate, it’s markdown formatting. If you want to put an underscore without formatting, you can escape with \ like this:
word1 \_text longword

4 Likes

Thanks for moving it. I checked the documentation about formatting before posting but couldn’t find anything about using only one underscore on the website.

Oh, that should be there. If you like, you can post an issue about it on the documentation’s GitHub (link is near the bottom of the Help homepage).

2 Likes

I would love to help, but I don’t feel very comfortable forking, editing and committing stuff on GitHub as I don’t understand how it works and don’t want to mess anything up.

You don’t have to do any of that — you can just post a report in the Issues tab. It’s like posting here.

But you don’t have to do that either, of course, if you don’t want to. :slightly_smiling_face:

Done!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.