Cannot Edit Sections of Notes in Obsidian

I’m in the process of moving my notes into Obsidian and I’m running into a big issue with many notes. I find that randomly part of the note (typically at the bottom) cannot be edited and the cursor cannot be placed in that text.

Here is a quick video demonstrating the issues: Dropbox - obsidian-edit-issue.mov - Simplify your life

In this video you can see at a certain point in the note I can arrow up to select text and it goes line by line, but if I try to arrow down you can see the selection suddenly jumps to the end of the note. After that, you can also see that I try to click into that bottom portion of the note and I’m not able to click into the text to edit it.

I’ve seen this on several notes and I cannot figure out what is going on here, but obviously this makes Obsidian unusable for me since I cannot edit the notes in my vault. And of course this also makes me nervous to go through the full import process to pull all my notes into Obsidian.

Things I have tried

I searched the forum and cannot find similar issues.
I have a few lines of custom css. I have disabled this but it doesn’t affect the issue.

What I’m trying to do

I simply want to be able to edit my notes :slight_smile:

Does this happen in the Help vault?

Does you have live preview turned on? If you turn it off, does that make a difference? Same question if you use the default theme or swap to the help vault as mentioned above.

That looks similar to an issue I had when live preview first came out. I turned it off for a while, tried some different themes, eventually it seemed to work itself out. Not super helpful!

Yes, I’m using live preview and I finally found the problem. I had this css snippet in my css file:

.markdown-source-view.mod-cm6 .cm-content > .cm-line {
    margin-bottom: 1.4em !important;
}

I was trying to add just a bit of spacing to paragraphs, lines, etc. Any idea why this css is causing a problem?

I’m not sure why that line of css was a problem, but I think I’ve solved my problem by using padding instead of margin. This code seems to work without any issues:

.mod-cm6 .cm-editor .cm-line {
    padding-bottom: 1.4em;
}
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.