Can you connect tags underneath one in graph view?

Can I connect tags together so they look nice in Obsidian graph view?
For example, linking #silver and #gold under #treasure.

Or is there a plugin that allows this function?

Hello WizardofOxen,

Have you tried changing these tags into nested tags of treasure?

• By writing a slash you can easily do that: #treasure will contain both #treasure/silver and #treasure/gold.
  • Then the graph view will be able to display all the #treasure subtags under the same group (e.g, the same color).

(You can batch edit tags with plugins such as Tag Wrangler if needed.)

I am not sure that my solution is what you are asking exactly but maybe it can help you. Let me know if you need more details.

1 Like

EDIT: Note that my previous proposed solution will affect your entire Vault and not just the Graph View. If you decide to try it, I would recommend to make a backup of your vault somewhere in your device.

Sorry for replying late to your comment. I was offline for a few days.

I found out that nested tags does not create lines between tags. For example, the image below has #science/physics, #science/chemistry, and #science/biology.

I want these tags to have hierarchies and group together like this:
Drawing 2024-01-03 00.56.03.excalidraw

To connect the nested tags you could create separate pages connecting your tags internally. These can then be colored through groups to make them stand out a little.

Each of these pages should link to the corresponding page of a nested tag (and you could use queries within the pages to show all pages having a given tag, and/or subtags of the current tag)

No problem for the time. I’m sorry my solution did not work out like you wanted to.
So I tried something alternative and came out with this idea:

I created a page called Science-Tags. Its content is the following:

#Science/Physics #Science/Biology #Science/Chemistry

After doing this, here is the Graph view that I got from this:

Tags_Science

If you have many tags pages like this to do, you could store them in a file called Tags (or z_Tags if you want to put this file at the bottom list to not bother you) for example.

Is this result what you are looking for?
Let me know if you need further details.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.