Can Dataview return a tag search results exactly to the block or heading?

Things I have tried

Research.

What I’m trying to do

I’m using dataview to return a list of pages based on a tag, but result isn’t especially helpful if it’s just the page name. I then have to preview or go to the page and search for where that term exists, which is time-consuming.

Is it possible when previewing the page listed in the dataview results to go directly to where that tag is? (I can see a problem here if there are multiple tags). Or can it return the block or heading in the form of a heading block reference?

e.g. [[Inbox/Test#Heading 1]]

The heading block reference preview is incredibly useful and trying to mimic that somehow in a search result.

Or maybe there’s another way of getting more specificity in the result.

Thanks!

R

The incredible Michael Brenan, creator of Dataview, is currently working on a successor called Datacore. Basically a huge update to Dataview, design and function wise. If even half of what he’s advertising on the Github page will work, it’s going to be a next step in the evolution of Dataview. I would guess you will be able to do this then, but I don’t know of course.
Here’s the Github page:

1 Like

wow, looks cool.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but if I understand correctly DataView now supports block links but only for list items (see near the end of the thread): Block/heading queries · Issue #30 · blacksmithgu/obsidian-dataview · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.