Calendar permission is not requested on MacOS (Ventura)

I’m in struggle street a little bit here.

I’ve tried installing the latest package from the repo above and get the below when trying to install

CleanShot 2022-12-01 at 13.31.06

Obviously there’s an issue here, not that I know more than that. When I create a new note I see the following error

CleanShot 2022-12-01 at 13.32.33

For Reference I’m running Ventura on a 2021 M1 Air

@gregb the install command uses python 2. This is no longer automatically installed with MacOS. Install Python2 from the Python website and you’ll be able to execute that script.

I have the same problem, but the easiest way to do the job is the following:

• Make a bash script (ical.sh) containing your command icalBuddy and saving the output in a text file (ical.txt)
  • Run this script every minute/hour/… in order to keep update your calendar state
  • In Templater simply replace your icalBuddy command by /bin/cat ical.txt

That’s it! :slight_smile:

Precisions: the shell command crontab -e enables to run stuffs every minute/hour/etc. But if cron is not allowed to use calendar it will also raise an error: no calendar. In my settings Automator is allowed to use it, therefore I wrote a process in Automator running the shell script involving icalbuddy command, then saved it as an App (ical.app) and used cron to schedule the execution. In crontab -e I have inserted this line: * * * * * open /path/ical.app

To solve the problem for cron follow these links: macOS Catalina : No Calendars Error - Launchd · Issue #28 · ali-rantakari/icalBuddy · GitHub

I’ve verified the entitlement has been added to Obsidian v1.1.9 and the issue has been resolved.

This is still broken for me
Works fine in terminal but still get the ‘No calendars’ error in console when running through templater
Already updated to v1.1.9

Just a quick note for those who are still having this issue - I updated to the v1.1.9 installer, and it prompted me for calendar access when I used my script(s) to run icalBuddy. So if you haven’t updated your installer (look at Options->About) it is worth trying.

Hmm I’m still having this error as well. I’m on Obsidian v1.1.13, icalBuddy v1.10.1 installed via homebrew. Looks like this version doesn’t request the calendar entitlement (see below). @lielu, am I missing something here?

codesign -d --entitlements :- /Applications/Obsidian.app
Executable=/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian
Warning: Specifying ':' in the path is deprecated and will not work in a future release
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "https://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.allow-jit</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.allow-unsigned-executable-memory</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
    <true/><key>com.apple.security.device.audio-input</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>

Confirming that modifying the entitlements via the codesign procedure above got it working, so looks like that’s all that’s missing.

@brush701 Can you explain what you modified and how?
Thanks!

this was fixed in the latest versions of obsidian. just download and reinstall it.

@WhiteNoise Already installed v1.1.9 but the problem is still there.

you need to download and reinstall obsidian from the website. not automatic update.

@WhiteNoise Do you mean uninstall it first and then install it again? Thanks!

@WhiteNoise Tried uninstalling and installing it again. Still not working… Do I need to delete the application support folder for it?

Deleting the application support folder didn’t help either.

If you run into this issue please run the “Show debug info” command and paste the result in follow-ups. The entitlements XML has been updated in the following public installer release after this bug was reported (~October 26th 2022) so you might be on an older version of the installer.

Here are the error messages I got.

plugin:templater-obsidian:61 Templater Error: Error with User Template dailyEvents
Error: spawn / EACCES
at __node_internal_captureLargerStackTrace (node:internal/errors:465:5)
at __node_internal_errnoException (node:internal/errors:595:12)
at ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:283:19)
at onErrorNT (node:internal/child_process:478:16)
at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:83:21)
log_error @ plugin:templater-obsidian:61

• List item

@Licat already got the latest installer from obsidian website and it still didn’t work…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.