Button to add new note if search query doesn't match any existing note titles

I often find myself thinking “Did I already make a note about X topic?”, so I go to the search bar to search the topic title. When there’s no results who’s file name matches the query, I make a new note. I think this is probably pretty common among users. I wish that during these moments, a simple button would appear right under the search bar, allowing me to click to create a new note, automatically setting the query as the title.

6 Likes

In a similar situation as @tcon. Would like to be able to create a new note directly from the search field if I have not found an exact match to my search term. nvALT has this solved very neatly: after a search with no results you hit enter and the search term turns into the title of a newly created note. A button as the OP suggest would be fine, but a simple key sequence (opt+enter or similar) would easily do the job for me without claiming visual space.

But this is already possible by using the quick switcher!

2 Likes

OP is talking about doing the same from the search bar.

I know - but I am not quite sure about the specific use case. The search function allows me to get an overview of a couple of notes mentioning a certain topic in different contexts; whereas the question “did I already make a note about topic XY?” can be answered, I think, by only using the quick switcher - that’s at least how I proceed in this case as the main topic of a note is usually reflected in its file name.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.