Bullet list manipulation: add custom hotkeys for indent in/out (outliner-like)

Mind adding a separate feature request for this?

up/down and in/out are both clearly described together in this as a feature request.

I question whether solving half the feature should require users to resubmit another request for the other half? There’s momentum here with the number of likes. People want this. Seems strange to voluntarily reset that number to zero and put it back at the bottom of the request pool.

Alternatively I can edit the post, clarifying that up/down has been added but in/out has yet to be addressed. That’s evident in the comments, but I see the utility in helping users learn that some of it is already fixed (from the top post without going deep). Just give me the go, if that sounds good @ryanjamurphy. I can also clarify that in/out is possible but not by your own hotkey preference.

1 Like

But maybe most of the likes are for the feature that has been added.

@goodsignal I thought that this worked:

Or do you mean you want this to be editable in the hot keys preferences?

Let me understand this. The only think missing here is having custom shourtcuts for indent\unindend (shift & ctrl shift alternatives)?

1 Like

At this point, yes. That is what we are down to. We have the comprehensive, since we can shift in/out and up/down. But instead of fast, it’s a little cumbersome without being able to choose hotkeys. Really hoping for custom hotkeys for the things that many of us do so frequently.

So, is the verdict:

• Create a new feature request?
  • Edit this one to the current state of request?
  • Or something else?

I take your point about losing the momentum on this request, then. I just edited the title—feel free to edit your post to make super clear what the remaining request is.

(Remember that requests are like notes! Atomicity is a good thing!)

2 Likes

I think it;s ok to keep this one

2 Likes

Thanks for the edit. That’s perfect.
Clarifies the current state and maintains the history.

2 Likes

I hope I did the right thing by making a comment here, rather than opening a new thread.

In the brief time I spent with Roam, I got used to the way it handled moving around nested lists. All I had to do to move back a level was press Enter; the Tab key would move me forward/inward, the way Obsidian also does. In Obsidian, however, pressing Enter on a blank second-level item ends the list, the way I would expect it to do if I pressed Enter on a blank first-level item.

Does this seem unintuitive to anyone else? I would love for people to have custom shortcuts & do whatever works for them, but my concern is that the default behaviour is jarring as it is (at least to me).

It seems quite normal to me. Word processors vary in how they approach this. (Word has the second Enter go back a level, as does Google Docs; Atlantis does it the same as Obsidian. Typora is a little different again).

Outliners, of course, are different because the base assumption is that you are moving around an outline. Roam is fundamentally an outliner. Workflowy will keep outdenting on enter after the first one, as does Dynalist, which seems to be what you want, so maybe the devs would consider changing the behaviour in Obsidian. I’d suggest making it a new feature request.

1 Like

Thanks, Dor. Your comments are fair, but after a brief test of Workflowy, I believe I’ve made myself misunderstood. (Maybe I’m wrong. If so, I’m sorry for taking up your time.)

I’ll do what I can to be clearer, at least:

Obsidian already does the first half of what I want in a multilevel list, which is that if I’m typing material at level 2 of a multilevel list, it stays at level 2 until I press Enter twice. However, the current behaviour is to exit the list entirely after the second keypress and place the cursor two lines down.

I’m thinking of the case where I’m typing away on level 2 of a list and I decide I might like to add another item at level 1. I’m trying to say that I’d like for the second keypress to take me back to level 1 – and if in fact I wanted to exit the list, a third keypress would do that.

To me, what I’m proposing goes along with the idea of having custom shortcuts to navigate lists, except that my shortcuts of choice are actually just Tab and Enter.

That’s what Workflowy and Dynalist do, surely?

I’m likely being pedantic, but I wanted to make it clear that adding successive keypresses in my example would eventually exit the list, depending on depth.

As much as Obsidian isn’t an outliner, and I don’t really want it to be, sometimes I’m tempted to use it that way, in a limited sense. If I can get away with it :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but that’s what the outliners are doing - taking you to base level in the list. It’s just that, being outliners, their base level is a bullet. In a word processor base level is a new line. Key press with enter is the same. As I say, I suggest that you put in a feature request. The reason I mentioned outliners is that the devs may have some understanding of your preference since they’re also the devs for Dynalist.

2 Likes

+1 for better tabbing of bullets

In the quest for improved Outliner features in Obsidian, I’m creating a more atomic request for this feature which hopefully, on its own, is less complicated to implement, but still provides significant benefit to users.

Use case or problem

Currently, if you tab within the text of a bullet, it creates a tab within the text, which is not very useful (I don’t think I’ve ever personally needed an actual tab within a bullet).

Proposed solution

• If your cursor position is anywhere on the line or within the text of a bulleted item, pressing tab will indent that bullet along with the children.

Related feature requests:

Basic Outliner Features for Obsidian (tab & drag)

Outliner mode (similar to Logseq, Roam, Dynalist)

5 Likes

Plus 1 for this. I also still miss a shortcut for indent/unindent that works on international keyboards. Please please add indent/unindent to the hotkey options.

2 Likes

I’ve exactly the same problem, as I’m using an international keyboard and CTRL+[ or CTRL+] doesn’t work (as I need to press Alt Gr to access it).

Did you ever find a solution for this problem (e.g. editing a config file or similar)?

I stopped using Obsidian at least a year ago, and this was one of the reasons. I’m amazed to see all of the progress in Obsidian since then, but very disappointed to see that this basic feature still doesn’t exist, nearly 2 years later. Any chance it could be added? Seems like a tiny addition

Edit: I see that this thread introduces and discusses a plugin that gives this capability. I guess I’ll have to explore the other plugins and all the new features!

Outliner mode (similar to Logseq, Roam, Dynalist) - Plugins ideas - Obsidian Forum