Built-in Formatting Toolbar in Obsidian Desktop

Use case or problem

While formatting notes, sometimes I do not remember all the formatting options available to me. I do not remember what it’s keyboard shortcut is or what symbol do I need to type.

Proposed solution

It would be nice if all the formatting options were visible and clickable with mouse in a toolbar at the top of the note under the tabs. This toolbar can be made to be hidden in case others want a minimal look.

Current workaround (optional)

I have made a formatting note that I refer to whenever I want to remember how to format something.

Related feature requests (optional)

Formatting toolbar built-in to Obsidian Desktop NOT as a Plug-in request, plus Obsidian Vault URL Hotkey or CMD work-a-round
This includes what I am suggesting but that post was too long and had other suggestions mixed in. That post is now in ‘feature archive’ and cannot be commented on. The explanation to ‘feature archive’ is that it includes features that have been implemented. But I do not see this feature implemented [v 1.0.3]. There was also no reply on that post whether the suggestion would / would not be implemented. Therefore, I am making a new post.

5 Likes

I think there are other plugins too

3 Likes

While there are at least two community toolbar plugins, these do not fully replicate the functionality of the mobile toolbar, nor do they allow changes made to the mobile toolbar to be synced to the desktop toolbar.

Merging the mobile toolbar code into the desktop version would be the most elegant solution. This would also make Obsidian desktop more accessible to less technical users and widen the user base.

3 Likes