Builds for ARM architectures

ARM based systems are very prevalent in technology today. We have Raspberry PI, Chromebook, Surface X, and Apple will be transitioning in the future. I for one tend to have my Arm based Chromebook with me almost constantly where I only have my Intel Macbook with me when I’m home or on a extended trip.

I’ve seen mention in the discord that Arm is being looked at towards/after the 1.0 release. I’m not sure why building a new architecture should need to wait that long. At least on the linux side cross-compiling should be straight forward and is a one time setup.

9 Likes

This would mean a web browser app as Chromium does not support standalone apps, an Obsidian is a standalone app just now.

I guess it’s worth mentioning Electron (the software framework used for Obsidian) has a guide for compiling apps for Windows on ARM.

It is more complicated if the app uses “native modules”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did, for better performance on the graph.

2 Likes

This would mean a web browser app as Chromium does not support standalone apps, an Obsidian is a standalone app just now.

Most modern Chromebooks are capable of having a linux environment inside that can run any architecturally appropriate programs.

I’ll second that request. I’m enjoying using my Raspberry Pi 4 - 8GB as a Linux desktop, and most apps (Firefox, LibreOffice, etc) work just fine. But there is only an x86 Linux version of Obsidian.md

3 Likes

Throwing in my voice for an ARM Linux build. I would love to be able to run Obsidian on a portable ARM Chromebook!

3 Likes

Among my devices that I use is also an ARM powered Chromebook. It would be very nice to have an ARM build that I could run on this. I just started with Obsidian and immediately fell in love with the software.

Is there any chance that an ARM build might happen?

4 Likes

I hope to use Obsidian on Raspberry Pi.

6 Likes

I’m now running Obsidian 0.9.19 on my ARM64 Lenovo Duet Chromebook. You guys are amazing! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I’ll second that!

Dear developers,

I’d like to ask you about new target architecture named armh (32-bit armv7hf). I understand that it is obsoleted a little bit but there are a lot of active devices like my asus c201p chromebook. So it would be great to taking notes in Obsidian using it.

1 Like