[BUG] URI to open second not working correctly - delayed operation

Any plans? This is very really annoying in terms of productivity… Thanks!!!

1 Like

It still hasn’t been fixed in the latest release that came out today.

2 Likes

Still happening. It’s pretty fundamental. Completed 1y anniversary now.

2 Likes

Is there any update on this?

1 Like

No. For the record, you don’t need to ask. We are very diligent about updating issues and threads when progress is made.

2 Likes

Steps to reproduce

1. Make sure you have two vaults ready to test this bug. I’ll call them A and B below.
  2. Create a note in A containing a link [Link to vault B](obsidian://vault/B)
  3. On desktop (macOS, 16.3), observe that this link works as expected to open vault B from a link in a note in vault A.
  4. On iOS/iPadOS (current TestFlight v1.3.2 (69)), observe that tapping/clicking the link does nothing except put edit focus on the link source text (ala Live Preview).

Expected result

Tapping an obsidian:// link on iOS/iPadOS should navigate to that link per the usual Obsidian URL scheme definitions.

Actual result

Nothing happens, except the link text is now expanded for editing per normal Live Preview behavior. Contrast to tapping on a [[Wiki Link]] or link to an https:// URL, both of which immediately navigate to the target note.

BONUS BUG: During testing, I observed that after tapping on an link to an obsidian:// URL, the “Open another vault” command becomes somewhat broken. Invoking that command appears to jump immediately to another vault, but the logic of which vault isn’t apparently. Eventually it appears to get “stuck” on the then-current vault. YMMV. On repeated trials, I could occasionally see what I think is the vault selection dialog flash VERY briefly before immediately disappearing. Fixing this bad behavior requires killing the Obsidian app then restarting it.

Environment

iPadOS 15.7
iOS: 16.0.2

• Debug info:

NOTE: This is the debug info for my main vault, but I’ve tested the bug as replicating on a default new vault.

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 15.7 (Apple iPad)
Obsidian version: 1.3.2 (69)
API version: v0.15.9
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: Minimal
Snippets enabled: 2
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 15
Plugins enabled: 13
1: Kanban v1.3.20
2: Admonition v9.0.5
3: Advanced new file v1.4.1
4: Contextual Typography v2.2.4
5: Dataview v0.5.46
6: Footlinks v0.1.7
7: Footnote Shortcut v0.0.9
8: Markdown Insert Plugin v1.0.1
9: Minimal Theme Settings v5.3.2
10: Note Refactor v1.7.1
11: Periodic Notes v0.0.17
12: Style Settings v0.4.11
13: Advanced Tables v0.17.3

Additional information

The obsidian:// URL scheme otherwise works correctly on both iOS and iPadOS at the tested versions above: via a Shortcut, via direct entry into the Safari location bar, etc. This problem AFAIK is exclusive to links from within Obsidian itself.

2 Likes

Confirmed in Obsidian 1.4 on iPadOS 15.7.

1 Like

Adding +1 to this — it would be very welcome functionality.

1 Like

Adding another _1 to this – I would love to be able to quickly open specific documents on my iPad. I take it everywhere I go and it would. be nice to easily open the document related to where I am.

1 Like

For anyone else struggling with this on iOS, on Obsidian 1.4.1 if you force quit the app and run the shortcut after then it seems to switch vault

I just came across this, and it’s not just iOS - I’m finding it on Android.

I asked if it could be added to the URI docs - that would have saved me a whole bunch of trying things out. I understand that you’re diligent about keeping track of bugs, but it feels a bit unfair to have the docs say it works when it doesn’t. Having some way to know what should work would be very useful!

Or is it something that only affects some people/setups? Does a vault URI ever work on Android/iOS?

2 Likes

Good idea… what would you write?

Only for the currently open vault at the moment, AFAICT.

I would really like this to work as well pleas

1 Like

+1 for this. I frequently switch between vaults on mobile and I find the “manual” way (open new vault command + select vault etc.) is a real drag. Using obsidian uri (and uri command plugin) would be a way of sidestepping this.

2 Likes

(edited - was pointing at the Advanced URI docs…)

On Using obsidian URI - Obsidian Help
In the section on open, in the possible parameters section for vault, it could have a note that says:

Note: Switching vaults does not work on Android or iOS

(possibly with a link to the discussion, bug tracker)

2 Likes

There will be some changes to fix this in v.1.4.2. Let me know if it works.

2 Likes

It doesn’t appear to be improving in my environment (original vault opens instead of 2nd vault) in v1.4.2. How about everyone else?

I just checked and it works for me.

Here’s a simple testing Shortcut. Just change the names of your vaults in the first text field (one vault per line, and make sure it’s exact).

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5871c25bbfd14d46821d1dae90b87a5d

Sorry, my mistake completely. I had forgotten that I had changed the name of the vault for some reason. It is working fine now. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.