[Bug] External Keyboard + Samsung Keyboard Problems: Delete Backwards and Page Jumps

Hi! I installed the Gboard app and set it as the tablet’s default keyboard, and it replaces the samsung`s standart keyboard in this function. This means that when you conect the external keyboard via bluetooth, the keyboard input is processed by Gboard and not the standard Samsung Keyboard. This solves our problem, as the conflict is with the standard Samsung Keyboard, which ends up being circumvented by a new app.

Like the Samsung keyboard, the Gboard keyboard doesnt appear on the screen when an external keyboard is activated. I had some trouble finding the settings, ngl. You have to ajust the general settings on your Tablet AND on the Gboard app itself.

This is not a perfect solution.

It has some implications, as Samsung’s QWERT has some subtle differences with Gboard’s QWERT . For example the character [ ú ] on Samsung is [ alt ] + [ u ] while on Gboard it is [ ’ ] + [ u ]. I don’t know why they are different, as both are set to “US, International”. Go figure.

In addition, Gboard is a google application, that is, its data collection appears to be more creepy.
But, for now, it works.

I sincerely hope I have resolved your question. English is not my first language, so I’m sorry if I wasn’t very clear.

I disagree! I’ve experienced this problem since version 1.1.0 on the Gboard keyboard, whenever I use the pen input mode. Except it’s a bit worse there, since the entire line gets erased.

These problems did not exist in prior versions of Obsidian

Definitely the same issue that I’ve been experiencing since 1.1.0. It also happens with words like “they’ve” or anything that ends with 've for that matter.

I experience a similar issue with multiple keyboards under various settings including:

• Samsung Keyboard (American English) with Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Gboard (American English) with Pen input

With Samsung’s Keyboard, I experience the keyboard erasing a certain count of the ending characters as I press space (as if the space were a backspace button)

With Gboard, I experience the occasional (but highly devastating issue when it happens) deletion of lines that were written — the worst part is … if I accidentally touch another part of the screen while this happens, that line gets erased too. This doesn’t just occur with a single word, but with the entire line that the cursor is on… sometimes without even typing, just simply clicking the line.

I’d say that both of these problems are related, since they both sprouted from Obsidian Version 1.1.0, and have not been resolved by Obsidian 1.1.1.

It is certainly annoying and almost a breaking change for me, since this means that I can’t use pen input with Gboard anymore, when I feel like manually writing things… and it means that I cannot use Obsidian whenever I try to activate Samsung Dex (which for whatever reason limits me to the Samsung Keyboard).

This problem is a breaking change, and makes Obsidian almost unusable for those that write daily.

Platform: Android 11
Device: Samsung Tab S6

This was a great explanation, thank you. I will try with gboard and report back.

2 Likes

I have an update regarding this solution. It doesn’t work in Samsung Dex mode, because it only accepts Samsung Keyboard as default

Iˋm glad to help. But I think this should’t be a permanent solution. I just discovered that it dosenˋt work if you are using samsug dex.

Can this be updated to a “bug report”?

My recordings:

The issues are repeatable enough that I can collect more footage as necessary.

I have this issue with Gboard whenever I use written entry but also experience the Bluetooth Keyboard Issue with the Samsung Keyboard

Gah. This update makes the app totally unusable. The errors happen on the on screen keyboard with the Samsung too…

Essentially, random edits happen across the board, with some being random cursor jumps, and others being erratic erasure. This renders the app unusable by most mobile input methods. Bluetooth has a problem, on screen has a problem, and written input has a problem!!

Some videos on the matter:

Please escalate this!

I had the same problem but managed to solve it. The issue is related somehow to auto spell checking.

Notice that if you have specific language selected and you type correct words in that language there is no problem. The issue occures when you type incorrect words in that language, or dots and commas, etc.

Anyway, to (partially) solve this problem go to the settings of you Samsung Keyboard, go to Smart typing, then Auto spell check and unselect all the languages. The problem should be gone. Of course you dont have auto spell check now, and oddly I have not seen this issue in other text editors besides Obsidian.

Having similar problems using gboard and handwriting input, and normal input. On Xiaomi Pad 5

I still have the same issues as mentioned here.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (SM-T865)
Platform: Android 12

Keyboards: Logitech BT K480, K810, K870; Fintie HB030; Generalkeys PX-4065-675

Spellchecking on/off does not matter. Results are the same.

GBoard “solves” the issue, but as mentioned already doesn’t follow the standard key system QWERTZ.

Platform

Android
Samsung s20+

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.5

bug description

At random times at high rates the editor will suddenly jump to a random location and occasionally erase all text written from a seemingly random point all the way down. but it will not erase in very short files.

It happens even when I create a whole new vault.

It makes the mobile version completely unusable.

reproducing

I dont know how to reproduce the bug. It just started a few days ago, and it’s so frequent I can’t even use the app anymore.

But I can tell that it doesn’t take anything to induce it.

In some of the examples below I didn’t even hold the phone.

Erasing however requires a sufficiently long file.

gifs

Example of jumping and erasing. Phone was not held. New vault without plug-ins.

20211217_040328

Example of jumping in an empty new vault without plugins.

20211216_104320

Examples of jumping to random location while typing.

20211216_014311

20211216_014344

Example of jumping without typing. Jumping with cursor at top if editor. Phone not held.

20211216_013851

2 Likes

I can’t see any erasing in the vault without plugins. I see some jumps from the keyboard going in an out.

The top gif is from a vault without plugins. I just copied a file from another vault into it. And you can clearly see in the gif that the bottom of the page was erased.

It’s not a visual bug, pressing undo returns the deleted part,and I have syncing with a pc that doesn’t have that bug and kf it was erased in the phone it showed in the PC as well.

The keyboard doesn’t go in and out. I even tried replacing a keyboard, but no use.

+1 I’m using Obsidian on iOS (iPad primarily) and I have noticed the jumping around behavior when using the keyboard though mine hasn’t erased any text, yet (:crossed_fingers:t4:).

Also noted here

1 Like

This sounds like the same issue I’m experiencing on my Samsung Tab S7+. The cursor jumps to the very end of the note and will create a new line. It will also randomly delete content as well.

Is there any fix?

I’m having this problem too with my z fold 3. I just updated my phone to the latest android version and only noticed it after that, maybe it can be related. Using version 1.0.5

I tried disabling all the plugins including sync. I noticed that for me it only jumps to the bottom of the note and places a new line. It’s very disrupti e and unpredictable. I don’t have to wait long and starts happening within 5 seconds of interacting with the note.

Anyone maybe have some more information to share about this bug?

The app is unusable at the moment for me. I like the app, and it works well for my current workflow, so if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot the problem, I’ll help.

I’ve now tried doing a rollback 1.0.4 & 1.0.2 disabling themes, CSS, and all plugins (community and core) however this has not resolved the issue sadly. I have been able to run everything fine until a few days ago, with the major change being the update to Android 12.

Workaround: editing in another app.

Edit: I’ve noticed that switching to and from editing mode helps make the jumps less frequent. Also nothing happens until the first letter that is typed.