Bug: Control character object replacement when syncing to Android

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a file containing a code block comprised of triple back ticks on Mac Laptop (or any other device)
  2. Sync and open in Android device

Expected result

A code block or dataview expression.

Actual result

Back ticks will be replaces with red and white alternating dots which, on hover, have a tooltip that says Control character object Replacement

Android keyboard starts flashing on and off.

If you attempt to edit these dots, they will start multiplying uncontrollably. If you are stubbornly trying to remove them they will multiply so fast that the file becomes to big for the mobile app to display.

Syncing from mobile and opening on laptop will result in a long hang time as the file gets read. (Can eventually be edited on laptop)

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS and Android
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.0.3
    Installer version: v1.0.3
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Tue Apr 19 21:04:45 PDT 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.29~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 3
    Plugins enabled: 3
    1: Dataview v0.5.47
    2: Templater v1.16.0
    3: Checklist v2.2.10

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Dev tools open to check console for errors. This screenshot shows the wildly multiplying red and white dots after the file was synced back to my macbook.

This screenshot is another file that was synced from mac => android => back to mac. Notice that the bullet points have been replaced by the same red and white dots.

I don’t think this happens this way.

If possible, provide a screen recording of this happening from the file created in the other device to the file being synced and the bug happening.

I stopped syncing to my phone because it was making my notes unusable. (I’d like to keep using Obsidian while I figure out what’s causing the character replacement)

I can show the sync history of another file with special characters, in this case it was a [[ Internal Link ]] and (External Link)[www.externallink.com] that had its enclosing brackets converted to the infamous red and white dots.

Original: Written on mac

First Sync to Android:

Do you have any other related bugs or suggestions to resolve this?

I had thought that we were syncing the raw markdown file but it seems like there’s something more complex being synced to remote. Would love to be able to sync to my phone again without causing issues.

1 Like

Just to update, seems to duplicate this issue: