Broken links in relative path mode on move/rename

Any news on this bug? With v0.15.9 the bug is still there. Maybe someone can explain me why this bug is so difficult to fix!?

2 Likes

Just wanted to confirm that this problem still persists in 0.15.9. As others have pointed out, a fix to this is essential to make Obsidian notes truly portable to any other markdown-based system.

2 Likes

I recently reorganized my Obsidian folder without knowing about this bug and disabled dozens of internal links.
You seem to have let this bug go unchecked for 2 years, do you have any plans for improvement?
I use Obsidian to create Markdown Wikiā€™s and the relative linking feature is a big reason why I use this tool.

1 Like

Hope this feature/ bug is implemented/ fixed soon. Its been more than 2 years since this was reported (now we are at v1.1.15) and not sure is this even on the list of things to be implemented/ fixed.

As a interim solution it would be great if Obsidian would show some sort of warning which indicated that when using relative path it is possible for the links to break sometimes.

5 Likes

I was wondering if there was an update on plans to fix this bug? Thanks!

4 Likes

While I appreciate that this is a not-intuitive, valuable, feature request from the dev teamā€™s perspective, and I understand that implementing this will take time and from what I can read here, it is not a priority. This is all understandable, even when itā€™s not ideal for me.

But I would urge and appreciate if the team could :warning: add a warning or notes directly inside the software so users are aware of the current limitation when they configure their Obsidian, where important notes are created with effort and time. This will certainly take some time of the dev team, but presumably much less than actually implementing this feature.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to be rude, sound criticizing, or nag ā€“ but you have also suggested adding some warning since two years ago. Adding the warning will really do good for many of your users. I am curious if thereā€™s any concern that I have overlooked about adding the warning. If so, it would be helpful if you wouldnā€™t mind sharing so we know why this warning message has yet to be added.

2 Likes

At the very, very least it should be mentioned in the help docs. Currently the docs donā€™t even mention the relevant option.

The help docs have a GitHub where issues can be posted, and even pull requests if you feel up to it (but definitely read the README before doing that). Thereā€™s a link to it in the ā€œContributingā€ section at the bottom of the help homepage. GitHub - obsidianmd/obsidian-help: Help documentation for Obsidian.

2 Likes

I just discovered the existence of this bug after spending the weekend reorganizing my vault.

As @CawlinTeffid notes, it should at ā€œvery leastā€ be mentioned in the documentation. That would have spared me a lot of time and effort.

Guess I will revert back to my old vault structure (thankfully I save my work religiously) until this bug is dealt with. I donā€™t have the time nor the inclination to review every single work-related link.

Itā€™s disappointing as Obsidian is my workhouse, and as time evolves so does my workflow and my ideas of how it should be implemented. It seems as if Iā€™m now stuck with a vault structure that is no longer to my liking nor as efficient as I would like it to be.

1 Like

Iā€™m still having this problem on ubuntu 22.04 obsidian 1.5.3v

3 Likes

Unfortunately, i am still struggle with that issue. Please give some love to markdown links. :space_invader:

Deleted my post, as it is non-contributory. (I misunderstood the cause of an issue I had to be relevant to this bug.)