Bold not showing in Live Preview or Reading View in 1.0

Steps to reproduce

• Type in **bold text**

Expected result

• The text should appear as bold the moment you leave the word or paragraph with the cursor.

Actual result

• Despite everything else behaving normally, including italics, bold for some reason does not show up as bold in either Live Preview or Reading View.

Environment

• Operating system: Ubuntu with KDE Plasma.

• Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.0.0
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Sat Sep 18 02:14:19 UTC 2021 5.11.0-36-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 6
Plugins enabled: 0

Post a screen recording of this happening in thes sandbox vault.

This is not the sandbox vault.
You may have a font problem.

You were right. It is some sort of font problem. I did not have the problem before 1.0, though, so I missed it.

As of 1.0, Obsidian seems to still be able to artificially apply bolding to some fonts without a bold variant without issue, but not others. I will try to identify the source of the problem. Hopefully it does not affect very many fonts.

does it happen with the default font?

No. And the problem seems to be limited to a few fonts. The problem will probably come up again eventually as a bug for someone else, but it won’t be common. It has to do with how different fonts solve the problem of bolding. But something happened between the last version and 1.0 that stopped a handful of fonts from being compatible. For reference, Gentium Plus.

I have the same problem with the default font and theme on Fedora 36.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.