BibNotes Formatter: New Plugin to Export and Format Annotations from Zotero into Obsidian

Sorry to bother you all again, but the problem is still haunting me. Obsidian works very slow as soon as Bibnotes download all literature notes from Zotero. I put the folder of literature notes outside the vault, and then it works as usual. The plugin is still working, so I guess the problem is what I was afraid of: Obsidian can’t handle well a big amount of notes. Or maybe it is another plugin that makes Obsidian work like a snail when there are too many files in the vault. I don’t know. Maybe somebody who has had the same experience can help me? Otherwise I have to find another solution to use Zotero with Obsidian.

A very excellent plugin!

A very basic question. How to achieve the function “Additional Highlight Formatting”? I mean, for example, I want to add reading a reference paper to my todo list as your workflow, firstly, I highlight a paper name, then next step I need to do is that add “todo check this article” to the review?

when i use this button:Create/Update Literature Note . the obsidian can not find anything from my library.

when i choose this buttion: update library

show below:

please tell me how to do to fix this problem? thx

1 Like

ADD+ My OS is Win 10 /Zotero 6.0 beta/Obsidian v0.13.31
Many thanks for your help

Fortunately, I found a solution, By carefully reading the manual. the Josn file needs to be set as a relative path, which is obviously different from the setting of the citation plug-in.
it’s a magic tool for me ,thanks

1 Like

exactly the same solution for my issue, so simples. Just updated the GitHub

I am having the same issue, notes in Obsidian do not update (either .bib or .josn) after doing changes in the zotero library. Both files are ticked for keep updating. Any workaround?

Are you guys running the update command of the plugin?

Set the relative path, which is the name of the file inside obsidian. Not the absolute path that begins by user. That should solve your issue

Does anyone manage to insert the keywords of the Zotero notes in the formatted BibNotes notes in Obsidian?

I try to explain it a bit better. For instance here:

I would like to export this annotation together with the keywords productivity and time management as Obsidian links, hence like this: [[productivity]], [[time management]]. They should not appear in the metadata section of the notes, where all keywords associated with the Zotero entry are listed, but only directly after the quote (and the commentary).

Any help is really appreciated!

2 Likes

Hi -

I am enjoying the tool, but I do not seem to be able to separate the highlighted text and comments. The comment is now in the same paragraph as the quote, just behind the zotero-hyperlink, but I would like it to be a separate paragraph outside of the block quote. I tried to adjust the “text before all comments” with a <p> command, but that doesn’t work.

Has anyone similar issues? Or ideas how to solve this?

1 Like

Hey, annotations of Zotero native readers can be made up of three parts:“highlight”,“comment”,“tags”.Whether it is possible to increase the support for tags? I hope this can be achieved:

• When exporting the blue “annotation”, arrange it in the following way
- highlight  tags
    - comment
  • When exporting green “annotation”, it is arranged as follows
## highlight
#tag1 #tag2  comment

Perhaps this can be done by subdividing {{color}} into {{color_highlight}},{{color_comment}}, {{color_tags}}

I’ve opened an issue on Github Image Import Path · Issue #73 · stefanopagliari/bibnotes · GitHub
I’ve found what the issue is, but do not know where the issue is created.
Thanks Stefano for looking into it!

Awesome plugin!! For some reason I’m not able to extract highlights of specific colours. {{PDFNotes}} works as expected, but none of the single-colour fields is returning anything.
I’m using Zotero 6 with the native reader, on a Mac.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: Forgot to mention, I’m able to see the highlights contents within the json file, including the colour hex codes.

2 Likes

I hadn’t been using this to export notes to Obsidian (I was using Zotfile’s extract annotation and MDNotes to export the note to Obsidian), but now that I am reformatting my workflow to work with Zotero 6 and the built in reader, I wanted to give this a try. I added {{PDFNotes}} to my custom template in settings, but this does not grab any of my notes from the pdf files. Am I missing something?

1 Like

I am sorry, I don’t understand. Where should I put these values?

Really digging this plugin, especially since I ‘accidentally’ upgraded to Z6.

Has anyone gotten the field “Custom text before all comments” to work properly? I never get anything to come across there. The others I 've tried all seem to work fine.

Just asking to see if anyone can verify that it works so I know it’s not just me before I open an issue.

me too! please help!

Hello everyone! I am completely new to Obsidian, just started using it some weeks ago. I am a PhD student and the workflow with Zotero is essential for me. I used to export notes from PDFs with ZotFile and then export them manually as markdown files. But I discovered this PlugIn which is amazing.

I have installed it but I am stuck at the very beginning. I already downloaded in a Folder within my Vault the .json file but I am unable to add the path in the BitNotes Formatter setting. I just do not know how to do it. I have tried many different things but I just do not know how to do it and Obsidian does not offer a drop-down list. I have been almost one hour trying to find a solution, but I have not been able to do it. Could anyone help me with this?

I would really love to start using this PlugIn regularly. Thank you everyone and accept my apologies for my ignorance concerning Obsidian!