Best practices on iOS/iPadOS

Thanks for your response! In the meantime, I’ve started to grow fond of 1Writer anyway. :slight_smile:

Cool, I just paid $25 extra after becoming an Insider to become a Supporter and be able to use Obsidian beta on mobile. Was worth it.

3 Likes

Working Copy.

The greatest addition to my workflow, has been Working Copy, in particular the synced-directory feature.

https://workingcopy.app/manual/files-sync

This lets you choose any folder, even from your iCloud or iCloud Drive, and sync it to Working Copy.

From there, you can operate on the synced data with shortcuts or more powerfully with git.

It is one of the most powerful features I have found for dealing with the problem of syncing and proprietary data silos.

The one-time cost of the app has paid for itself many many times over for myself.

1 Like

Hi! New on this forum, and also new to Obsidian. A long time geek though. When I learnt that Obsidian could sync via Working Copy, which is one of my most well-used apps on my iPad/iPhone I figured I should give it a go.

I followed the set-up instructions from this blog post when setting it up firstly on my iPad. Worked perfectly. Just as described.

So I figured I should do the same on my iPhone. However, when I try to find the Obsidian folder in “On My iPhone” I fail. On my iPhone I simply can’t sync the folder as it can’t be seen, not by Working Copy and not by the built-in Files app.

On my iPhone I can see all the other apps that I have on both my iPad & iPhone, for example Devonthink, GoodReader, Textastic, Firefox etc, but not Obsidian. This obviously complicates linking folders for sync. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Hah, solved it. Leaving it here in case someone else encounters the same.

Basically, on a new install of Obsidian on iPhone, I had to create a couple of files first (any content will do), to “give it reason” to create a folder for storage I guess. Once I had done that the Obsidian folder popped up in “On My iPhone” and I can now select subfolder and match them up with my git repositories.

2 Likes