Beginner help with Dataview, Tags and nested notes

Hello,
I started using obsidian as my main note taking tool a couple of days ago and I am blown away by its capabilities. However, this also causes me some headaches in how I can implement some things and hope you experts are able to help me.

1. Data View with editable fields?
I want to implement a aggregated list/dataview of a specific #tag across all my daily notes in order for to view them during a meeting (i.e. 1on1, Team-Meeting etc.). However, I would also like to edit those entries (strikethrough, change text etc.) directly from this view.
While searching, I just found an old entry that this is something that the developer is working on, yet no update. Still, is there a possibility to do that or - alternatively - append a backlink to each note from the dataview to the text?

2. Nested notes [block of notes] under #tag and aggregate them
How can I implement the following structure within obsidian? Dataview does only pick up the #tag but not the text underneath it. Query only picks up the 1st item

Daily Note 1
#topic
- indented fact 1
- indented fact 2

Daily Note 2
#topic 
- indented fact 3

Dashboard
#topic
- fact 1
- fact 2
- fact 3

Thanks a lot for your help!

Not sure how to achieve your 2nd request, but for dataview with editable fields, it sounds like you need the Database Folder plugin.
With database folder, you can get an editable table using a dataview query. It’s called ‘Database Folder’, but it’s really just a note file holding a database that draws from a folder, query, etc.

It also renders everything in Markdown, so strikethroughs will work.

1 Like

If not using Database folders, you’ve got to wait it out for Datacore to enter the field. It’s the successor of Dataview, and editable fields is supposedly one of its features.

Dataview can’t edit fields it presents in query results by itself. You can in some cases provide links to the original note, or section/block therein.

Tags like you’ve written are gathered in the page scope, so no connection is retained with surrounding texts. Yet another aspect that Datacore will address in due time.

However, this can somewhat be mitigated already if you switch to the other context currently available using dataview, namely the list (or task) context.

Doing something like the following allows you to tag a list item using your tags, and then access child items within your queries:

- #topic
  - indented fact 1
  - indented fact 2

- #anotherTopic
  - indented fact 3

# Dashboard
- #topic
  - fact 1
  - fact 2
  - fact 3

This syntax will also allow you using a little trickery to access list items related to a section. See Query bulleted dates and/or tag under a specific header: advice - #5 by holroy

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.