Backticks in inline and block codes

I delayed the transition to new Obsidian Features as Live Preview because some inner issues and others related to plugins. To work with new versions I was enabling “Use legacy editor”. But now I’ve completely jumped and try new things.
I work mostly in the renamed “Source mode” and I’m facing a strange behavior with backticks to inline and block codes.

Steps to reproduce

1. Inline code

When I write the first backtick at the start of a new line, I get automatically the second backtick, the cursor stay between the two backtips, but when I start to write (jumping the vowels problem) text jump to after the second backtips.
inline.mov.zip (1.1 MB)

2. block codes

With block codes the behavior it’s different.
We are an ‘animal’ of habits. So, until now the habit for block code was “three backticks” and start to write (something after the first set of backticks - the language used, the prefix to plugins/queries, etc.; or a change of line to start the block content).
But now I only have “confusion”.
If I write three backticks I have a mess: six backticks and the cursor after them.
If I write two backticks I have three backticks in first line and more three in other line. In this case the cursor stay waiting after the first set of backticks… and:

• If I write something (for example “dataview”), the second set of backticks jumps to the first line!
  • If I decide to “enter” and change the line, everything works fine.
  • If I decide to go elsewhere outside the block code, then the two set of backticks joining and I have a set of six backticks.

block.mov.zip (1.5 MB)

Expected result

I expected a behavior similar to previous editor mode (and an updated behavior in relation to vowels)

Actual result

As described in “Steps to reproduce”.

Environment

• Operating system:
    macOS 11.6.3
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.23
    Installer version: v0.12.19
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Wed Jan 12 22:22:42 PST 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.19~2/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: off
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: Minimal
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on
  1. what you are using to obtain dead key behavior of ` is not playing well with obsidian. Disable autopair markdown symbols.

2. You should get 6 backticks and the cursor in the middle.

Again whatever you are using to deadkey ` (looks like another software popup waiting for you to add something after the backtick) isn’t working with obsidian.

Hi, thank you for the reply.

Sorry for dummy question, but do you mean anything outside obsidian interfering with the `?

when you press `a and you expect to become à, some other software outside obsidian is doing that.

Because my OS in Portuguese? In portuguese language we have that kind of accents in vowels.
In inline code cases (besides the issue with the vowels, as in previous versions) in the middle of the line it works well. The main issue is at the start of a new line.
In previous versions I don’t have the issues also with codeblocks.
(and it works if I enable “Use legacy editor”)
Disable autopair markdown symbols it’s applied to all other autopair. For me this is not the solution. Maybe I need to back to old legacy editor.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Deadkey Backtick: conflicts with autopsies on mac

Yep, I tried to change the keyboard language to US (and find where is the ` in my PT layout) and seems to change any behaviours.
But not a solution to my keyboard layout :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mnvwvnm download and reinstall obsidian from this version
https://github.com/obsidianmd/obsidian-releases/releases/download/v0.13.24/Obsidian-0.13.24-universal.dmg

Does this bug still happen?

Hi. I made a fast test and I think the issue remains.
backticks.mov.zip (3.2 MB)
Thank you.