Backlinks within databases (dataview + DB folder)

Things I have tried

I’ve tried messing around with relations and rollups but both don’t seem to be able to do exactly what I’m looking for

What I’m trying to do

I would like to create backlinks between two database DB folder tables.

So for example, databaseA and databaseB

Database A has column 1, which is a relation to databaseB.

• In entry 1 (say A1) of this column, there are some entries in database B selected (say B1, B2, B3)
  • In entry 2 (say A2) of this column, there are some other entries in database B selected (say B1, B3)

I would like to have column 1 in databaseB, which automatically shows all linked entries in database A

• So in this column, B1 would automatically be populated with (A1, A2), because both A1 and A2 have B1 selected in their column
  • In this column, B2 would automatically be populated with (A1), because only A1 has B2 selected in its column

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. For more clarity, my specific use case with screenshots is below:

This is a students database, each student is enrolled in one or more classes:

This is a class database, each class contains at least 1 student:

I would like to go to the student database, and select multiple classes for a student in a relation column. I would then like to have the classes database automatically populated, adding the student to the “students” column of the classes I just selected.

So for example, if I go to the student “Matthew Chua” and select the classes “12CHEM_Mon_1, 12METH_Mon_2”, I would then click on the classes database and both the the “12CHEM_Mon_1” and “12METH_Mon_2” classes will have a field which says “Matthew Chua”. Removing a student from a class or a class from a student in either database should also automatically update the other.

Is there any way to do this?

Mine is a specific use case, but I feel this could be applied to many scenarios, and any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.