Back/Forward buttons don't navigate within files

Steps to reproduce

Create a long markdown note with various headings, with a link to one of the headings within the file.

# Heading One

Lots more text ...

# Heading Two 

Even more text ...

[[#Heading One]]

Click on the link to jump to the named heading.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes.

Expected result

The ‘back’ button becomes available and pressing it returns to the pressed link.

Actual result

Opening the link succeeds but the ‘back’ button doesn’t do anything.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.4.16
	Installer version: v1.4.16
	Operating system: #202310061235~1697396945~22.04~9283e32 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun O 6.5.6-76060506-generic
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: Minimal v7.3.5
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 7
	Plugins enabled: 7
		1: DB Folder v3.5.0
		2: Dataview v0.5.64
		3: Heading Level Indent v1.0.3
		4: Lapel v0.1.1
		5: Style Settings v1.0.7
		6: Creases v0.7.0
		7: Contextual Typography v2.2.5

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Following links between files works great, the back/forward buttons jump around as expected.

You are talking about the buttons here, yeah?

These are used to move between notes, as you mentioned, and have nothing to do with moving around inside a note.

After you jump to a heading, you can use cmd/ctrl + z to move the cursor back to the previous place you were.

I understand what you want but we don’t support this. Please, Open a FR.

Sure, I’ll open a feature request. I’m confused about why you don’t support it because navigating between files with the forward/back buttons remembers where you were in each file before navigating to a new file.

That means each history marker contains metadata about where in each file to jump.

I don’t see why jumps within the same file can’t be recorded in exactly the same way. Ignoring jumps within a file is a bug.

I didn’t say it’s impossible. It’s not implemented. What is not implemented is feature request not a bug.

Based on how the existing feature works, I think the functionality is implemented, just disabled. That’s why I made a bug report.

However, I obviously can’t be sure because I don’t have access to the source code.

Feature request is here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.