Autopair markdown doesn't play well with bullet lists

Steps to reproduce

1. Have autopair markdown syntax turned on.
  2. Make a bullet list

Expected result

Bullet list:
* item

Screen capture from Typora for expected reference:
bullet bug 2

Actual result

Bullet list:
* item*

bullet bug

Editor’s autopair logic doesn’t catch user intent to make a bullet list instead of an italic. Extra character is generated and has to be deleted manually.

Pattern matching on * followed by a space at the beginning of a line is the ‘bullet list intent’. That distinguishes it from the intent to start a line with an italic word.

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 10.15.6
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.14

Additional information

The issue was reported below in May. Still seems like an open UI/UX bug to me so I am reporting here with extra information for further discussion.

This is not a bug per se. More a feature request…
In the linked bug report, I suggested opening a feature request. Please, search if a feature request already exists, if it doesn’t open a new one.

Ok, I’ll re-post this as a feature request.

For future reference, how do you define what constitutes a UX / usability bug vs. a feature request? That would be helpful to know (and perhaps put in the forum sticky) because I keep submitting what I consider UX/UI bugs that you classify as feature requests. (For reference, my profession is UX researcher/designer.)

1 Like

A bug is an unexpected behaviour. Unexpected in the eyes of the programmer, because users can expect the moon. :slight_smile:

In my mind, there are very few things that I consider ux/ui bugs. Again it has to be unexpected by us or\and severe affects usability.

Quality of Life improvements, like the one you described, isn’t a bug but a valuable feature request.

1 Like