Auto-create new notes by linking to them

I think he means the function like plugin “Page preview”

Now I am using the “Quick switcher” plug-in, and copy all then paste.
I think the final solution could be tabs in pane + hot string or text expander. There are many mentions about the expander now and you can also use espanso.

1 Like

I am bumping this because I think its an important feature.

The way I imagine implementing this is through the pop up menu that already appears when creating a link. Similar to the ability to link to a header, maybe the addition of a symbol creates a new note.

I like the idea some of you mentioned for more flexibility in creating the note. I for one would like to be able to choose which folder the note goes into. I haven’t started creating template notes yet but I could also see it being incredible useful to choose which template the note should be created as.

1 Like

I think this should be a setting where the user decides whether or not to create the page upon new link detected.

I’m not sure if I’d like having several files empty. For example, I point to several dates ([[2020-11-10]] and so on) in my vault, but these files don’t necessarily contain anything, they are just there to organize information, whenever I search for an exact match of the link.

Any news on this topic?

Can we please get an update? This is a feature I would really like.

Seems like an option in settings to toggle on / off is best solution.

1 Like

I think this relates to what I have posted here under Fully transclude backlinks

Any update on this?

For the backlink to the “original note”, I think I can relate a little bit to this. My workaround is that I mainly create links in a diary note and so I can trace my thinking often to the diary note.

I guess this can be implemented by just having the original note highlighted in some way in the backlink view since at the moment it seems all backlinks are displayed equally and so no way to trace the original link.

I wold still like to see this if possible, even if it’s just an option toggle somewhere or as suggested above there was a way to see links without pages attached easily so I could make them into pages by clicking through every so often (if it exists and I missed it please let me know!)

Since 0.12.4 or so, you can enable Settings → Core plugins → Outgoing links, which will show these on a per-note-basis.

Or use the Find unlinked files and unresolved links plugin, which will create a note showing all of them on a per-vault-basis.

2 Likes

Only issue I see with auto generating a note when you create a [[…]] link, is that I find myself typing one thing for the link name and then realizing I want something else. And often I decide to add an alias so the sentence in the note makes sense and the new standalone note name makes sense.

Therefore, if there was an auto generated note feature, there would likely need to be a Delay aspect. Maybe even hours or a day delay if desired, or on next start up.

1 Like

Please add a toggle button, let the users choose whether to use auto-create~
Without this feature, it’s too painful to input bi-links.

1 Like

I do basically this without creating the notes (so I don’t clutter up my files with blanks). Uncreated notes show up on the graph, and if I want to see backlinks I can create the note, check backlinks, and delete it.

For the person who asked about creating notes from links without opening them. (I can’t find it now on the thread, apologies)…What I found works efficiently is keeping my finger on the command key in Mac. I command click on a link to create a note from a link. Then command + w will immediately close that note. It takes a second to do it, but maybe this can help in the interim.

1 Like

Hi, I’m would also be interested with that feature : For me, it would be useful for two use :

1. Create “topic pages” which are “keywords-notes”.
    This way you can add several [[keywords]] in your personal notes, notes related to articles/studies and then see the backlinks when opening the “keyword-notes”. This could also be done with tags but “topic pages” have the advantage to allow you to add content in the notes (for exemple a definition of the keyword) and connect it to other notes.

2. For content managing. I’m creating content on social media and I prefer to write everything in obsidian before copy pasting on the social media (so I can eventually reuse the material later). For that, I create notes in advance, based on the date of days that I’ve generated in excel :
    [[2022-03-28_gr - Lundi - ]]
    [[2022-03-29_gr - Mardi - ]]
    [[2022-03-30_gr - Mercredi - ]]
    [[2022-03-31_gr - Jeudi - ]]
    [[2022-04-01_gr - Vendredi - ]]
    [[2022-04-02_gr - Samedi - ]]
    [[2022-04-03_gr - Dimanche - ]]

So I would like to autocreate all the notes without opening-closing each one.

The autocreate function could be implemented in two different ways :

1. As mentionned above, as an option to enable that create automatically a note when a wikilink is created.
  2. As a command to create notes from all links of the active note or all links in a selected area. This option would be useful for people who need that function only in some contexts.

Enjoy your day !

1 Like

Hey everyone! I know this thread is a little old, but I made a plugin to do this!

It lets you add >>{some text here} after a link to a file that doesn’t exist and then run a keyboard shortcut to create that note, add that text, and cleanup the formatting in the original note.

I have not yet submitted it to the community plugin repository, but I thought I’d share it here in case anyone finds it useful.

4 Likes

To delete them automatically should be an option.
I would like them left empty so that I can fill in them later.
Perhaps a filter to have empty either show up or not in the side panel.

I would suggest this be just an option toggle, since I personally wouldn’t want new files to be accidentally created just because I accidentally didn’t link to an existing file (which is my usual workflow at the moment).

1 Like

I actually like the way it is. I only want to create notes when I am ready so that the knowledge base has fewer but more deliberate notes to garden.