Assign tag to multiple files

From Obsidian Release v0.9.3

When using global search, you can now copy the search results file list. This can be optionally formatted as wikilinks and/or as lists.

Now it is available as last icon above search text box. I do not know if API version of this command exists.

I think this request could be best done as a plugin.
I do not know if it is better then to store it in feature-requests or plugin-ideas category.

The plugin could:

• add custom hotkeys for even faster use. Especially when Single key hotkeys (context sensitive) become supported.
  • have options whether to add tags:
    • to standard front-matter field “tags”
    • in some other syntax/place
  • have option to insert only those tags that are not assigned yet to given note
    • in YAML front-matter field “tags”
    • in some other syntax/place
1 Like

Since tag support is already a core feature of Obsidian, I would argue this feature request is best implemented as a core feature. As @WahWah said, this is pretty standard in apps that support tagging.

As to the specific UI implementation, @malecjan mentions several good options. As with other file management actions, I think it makes sense to let the user do it in several different ways. Using the File Explorer and Search Results seem to be the most compatible with Obsidian’s current UX.

File Explorer

First, multi-select of files in File Explorer, then
→ right-click menu “Add tag to selected files”
→ command palette “Add tag to selected files”
→ drag selected files to the tag in the tag pane OR drag the tag from tag pane to the selected files

Search Results

First, perform a search query that give results, then
→ click a new # button (next to the ‘copy search results’ button) to assign a tag to all notes in the search results

15 Likes

I’m all about this feature. I’d just like to add that there also needs to be a way to REMOVE a tag. So if there is a context menu or command palette item for “Add a tag to selected files”, there should also be one for “Remove a tag from selected files”.

8 Likes

@Gem, this may help:

By the way, an example of free software that can mass search and replace is VSCode.

Thanks

1 Like

We need an interface that can manage labels systematically, and more abundant label functions.

Thank you but I’m not talking about editing or removing a tag at the global level. I meant removing a tag from, say, 5 selected files out of 100 that have that tag. Really just the inverse of adding a tag to multiple selected files.

2 Likes

+1 on the feature request for being able to add or delete tags in batch mode.

1 Like

+1 Would love support for this too!

I know this is not what you are looking for, you want to do it within Obsidian, but if you desperately need to do that now, in the meantime: http://postimg.cc/Mn0PN2ZZ

grepWin is open-source freeware, so it might get you out of a jam for now?

1 Like

+1 here

Same here.

This feature would be a great time-saver.
It is very cumbersome to tag every file step by step.

Do you know if there are any similiar workarounds for Mac?
Are there any multiple batch tag applications for MD Files out there?

+1
Tagging is very important for organization so system to allow to add and delete tags to multiple files would be very useful…

1 Like

Manual workaround using Atom.io here:

My god! This isn’t in Obsidian?

Bit of a shocker.

3 Likes

+1 on this feature.

1 Like

+1

A possible implementation of this could be Double-click or drag tags onto a note

1 Like

+1

I agree that it would be helpful if we could tag multiple notes at once. I usually add my tags when I create a note but sometimes I think of a new tag that I want to add afterwards. In these cases, it would help if I could select multiple notes at the same time and apply that specific tag to all of them.

1 Like

yes this feature is sorely needed. i can probably put together some external scripts to make it possible, but really should be a core feature of the app itself.

i’m about halfway through porting over about 7k of notes from evernote and now realize i should have done all my bulk tagging before moving over, ugh

1 Like

I’m pretty new to obsidian and the forum. Is this just a place to complain or do the devs ever read these, take these suggestions seriously, or chime in? 1.5 yrs after the op and still nothing. The lack of basic features like this really makes me hesitate on going all in with this app. It doesn’t seem like the workarounds will be very usable on “mobile” and I do most of my note taking on my iPad.

@smellythief I think a year and a half kind of flies by if you look at all that was accomplished during that time. But, I do understand where you are coming from with this specific need. Having watched the forum closely, I will say that there are so many feature requests that have received a lot more interest. And many of them have been implemented either as core features or high quality plugins or workarounds. Personally, I feel that the forum is an awesome place to see features debated then formulated at the right time and in the right way. I definitely can’t complain about how the software operates and its trajectory. I say just stay positive and it will all be worth it before long, if not sooner.

And, who knows, maybe now that functionality on multiple selected files in the explorer is a thing, that could be a bridge towards adding tags to multiple notes at once. On the other hand I can imagine multiple other ways that might be much better.

Thanks.

2 Likes