Andy Matuschak mode

A “vault” in obsidian is actually nothing more than a local folder → thus save the obsidian.css file in the respective folder that is your main obsidian data directory

Thank you @alltagsverstand. Folder makes sense. Found it and now playing in Andy mode

2 Likes

Could someone help me to fix the suggestion-box bug? It’s not placed properly sometimes.

Here’s the code I use

/* Andy Matuschak mode! */
/* everything under .mod-root now. Don't want Andy messing with sidebars */
/* also, Andy only makes sense for vertical splits, at the root level, right? */
.mod-root.workspace-split.mod-vertical {
  overflow-x: auto;
}

.mod-root.workspace-split.mod-vertical>div {
  min-width: 450px;
  left: 0;
}

.mod-root.workspace-split.mod-vertical .workspace-leaf.mod-active,
.mod-root.workspace-split.mod-vertical>div:first-of-type {
  z-index:1;
}

Also is it possible to enlarge the pane? It always back to min-width that I set.

1 Like

Yeah, those two issues (plus positioning of hover popups) are my major pain points with this, and I haven’t been able to solve them with CSS alone.
Hopefully when the plugin API becomes available these are things I can address with some JavaScript…

2 Likes

Little trick for people like me who want to hide inactive editors unless these are under the mouse cursor.

.workspace-split.mod-root {
    background: var(--background-primary-alt);
}

.mod-root .workspace-leaf:not(.mod-active) {
    opacity: .05;
    transition: .3s;
}

.mod-root .workspace-leaf:not(.mod-active):hover {
    opacity: 1;
}
5 Likes

Thank you so much. The transition is cool and smooth.

Using this CSS, If I am in edit mode, do i have to hit Shift-Option-Command click (on a Mac) to open in a new pane? That is a bit awkward. Any easier way?

Sorry for making a request.
Could you make the pane is also visible when pinned?
Thanks before. :pray:

Unfortunately in Obsidian’s html pinned pane is built exactly the same as the default one. Except pin icon in header, but in css one can’t go backwards to apply changes to “parent” when some “child” element is added or changed.

There is one way to get around this limitation if in your workflow pinned pane is always either first or last in the stack.

/* first pane always visible */
.workspace-split.mod-root .workspace-leaf:nth-child(2) {
}
/* last pane always visible */
.workspace-split.mod-root .workspace-leaf:last-child {
}
2 Likes

It helps. Thank you. :pray:

Hi, thanks for your active-pane modification, I was trying to create something just like it myself. I adopted your edits but changed the opacity to filter: blur, as I like the look of that a bit more. But would you happen to know how to go about making it so the title of a note is never blocked/blurred out?

Thanks

This might be very obvious, but the posted modification to the obsidian.css file removes the sort and create new folder buttons. Is this intentional?
How could I adapt the file to re enable the buttons?

It is better to install the Sliding Panes community plugin than to use this custom CSS solution, which was released before Obsidian had community plugins.

1 Like

oh, good to know, thanks for the info mate!

1 Like