[Android] Red dots in Live Preview

I did more digging, since my obsidian app hasn’t updated between when it was working and when it corrupted. Closing the keyboard is what causes it to corrupt my markdown files. It looks like something in Android 13 subtly broke the keyboard in a way that doesn’t affect other apps (so far). No individual setting seems to fix this, so probably an interaction between the keyboard and obsidian (is obsidian doing any “on keyboard close” listening?). Hard resetting the keyboard data and settings appears to fix this, unsure if it’s permanent, ymmv

I am having this same issue on a Samsung. I mistakenly thought it was due to sync.

Just in case this helps anyone else, I was able to fix this on my phone by turning off text corrections:

For my phone this setting is found in: Settings > General Management > Samsung Keyboard Settings > Suggest text corrections (toggle off)

6 Likes

This observation is appreciated, thanks for that - similar settings cause this in SwiftKey too. I get red dots if I accept the autocorrect suggestions. But I’d hesitate to call it a ‘fix’, as it’s disabling a pretty core feature needed to speed up touch-screen typing. I’d call it a reluctant workaround at best =)
If you do find any other workarounds, please do share though.
Currently, I’m having to use “Markor” on Android as an alternative to Obsidian until these kinds of things get fixed, but I still use Obsidian on desktop.

2 Likes

I’m also having this problem on a Samsung s22+. I just recently updated to Android 13 which may have been where the problem started.

I’ve noticed it happening on pages with nothing more than headings and lists, which is what my daily notes consist of.

Same red (and black) dots corrupting parts of the text using Samsung Z Fold 4 with Samsung Keyboard. I can’t get back the lost text.

How to fix the problem?

Same here. Has happened occasionally a long time. I use google drive sync and swiftkey, OnePlus 8, android 12.

When copying and pasting a text with bold or italic words, the red dots eat away my pasted text.

The issue is serious.

1 Like

It seems Samsung devices are inserting a weird Unicode character when users use text correction.

Disabling text correction will prevent the problem. See the solution above.

We’re hoping to see an upstream fix — Samsung shouldn’t be doing this, obviously — but I think the team is also trying to patch it in Obsidian.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.