ALT+V character gets hijacked, cursor jumps to top

Steps to reproduce

While editing any note, press ALT+V.

Expected result

The character according to your keyboard layout should be typed. Eg. √ on the US English layout for macOS, or „ (left quote) on my native layout.

Actual result

No character is typed, and the cursor jumps to the first line of the note.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Big Sur
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.13.19
	Installer version: v0.13.19
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

This can be easily reproduced in the built-in Obsidian help vault too, without any plugins or tweaked configuration. SHIFT+ALT+V works fine, and apparently every other ALT combo, but ALT+V.

what is your native layout?

ALT+V = √ is not US English layout for macOS at least not in the default layout.

Well, yeah it is. Here are screenshots for both the US and Hungarian layouts. The blue arrow points from ALT to V.

BTW I can reproduce this on both Big Sur (newer M1 computer) and Mojave (older i7 MacBook).

And one correction to my original post: the cursor does not jump to the first line of the note when I press ALT+V, but rather it jumps upwards one page. I tested on a short note, so I was misled. Anyhow, the gist of the bug is the same.

My ALT+V works as expected in all other apps, but Obsidian. Just wanted to clarify that.

Thanks for looking into this, and do please let me know if I can assist you further in your investigation.

no it’s not. This is a mac-only layout (not the standard) that is overwritten by mac-only shortcuts (alt-v for pageup)

Thanks for your reply @WhiteNoise! What do you mean when you say “overwritten by mac-only shortcuts”? Is there something I can do so it does not get overwritten?

No problem, we will fix this in one of the next releases.

1 Like

Should be fixed in 0.13.22

1 Like

Thank you @WhiteNoise , that was quick!

I’ve updated to 0.13.22 insider build, and the behavior has not changed. ALT+V still jumps up one page.

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.13.22
	Installer version: v0.13.19
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Wed Nov 10 22:23:05 PST 2021; root:xnu-7195.141.14~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 20.6.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: insider
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

ok thanks

will be fixed 0.13.23

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.