Allow questen marks in Title

Use case or problem

Currently you can’t use a question mark in the title of notes. To me, that’d we useful.

Proposed solution

Allow question marks in the title. :smile:

Current workaround (optional)

For instance, when I add a book with a question mark in its title I have to manually delete or replace the question mark.

Related feature requests (optional)

I don’t know of any.

Remember that in Obsidian we work directly with text files stored in our drives. The title of our notes is the same as the title of those text files.

Problem is, every OS has restrictions on which characters are allowed. For example, after a quick Google search, question marks (and other characters, like quotation marks) are not allowed on Windows.

For a workaround you can copy/paste the exact title you want, punctuation n’ all, and set that as an alias (easy to do with a Property now), so you can still read and search these titles exactly the way you want them. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Or, you can turn off showing the filename as a title, and put your own title in with the normal markdown syntax. Then you can use any characters you want:

# A title with question mark?

That’s the way I do it, as I prefer having my title inside the markdown file rather than being dependent on the system filename.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.