Allow me to move multiple folders at once in Obsidian interface

Use case or problem

• I want to be able to select multiple folders in the File Browser and move them to another folder.
  • This needs to be from within Obsidian or else it will break existing links.

Proposed solution

Enable multi-select of folders in the File browser and dragging and operating on batches of folders.

Current workaround (optional)

• I tried moving them from the unix shell or Finder windows, but of course since this happens outside of Obsidian, it loses track of all the links and breaks a bunch of links.
  • Therefore, currently I just don’t move multiple folders
1 Like

Doing file movements outside of Obsidian won’t break links if they only include the note name (no folders) and the name is unique. So for Note in Folder, [[Note]] will work after the move and [[Folder/Note]] won’t (as you may know, but just to be clear).

Try holding Alt and left-clicking on the folders you want to move. They should become highlighted, and then you can right-click and select Move items to.

2 Likes

Doing file movements outside of Obsidian won’t break links if they only include the note name (no folders) and the name is unique

Thanks for this info, however, many of the contained files are not unique, complicating the issue.

Try holding Alt and left-clicking on the folders you want to move.

This worked! I had to be careful when doing this though because when adding more folder with the Shift key, it selected an extra file every time.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.