Allow links and tags in document titles

Roam Research allows document titles to have formatted links in them, and I often want the same thing. I find myself replicating the title in the document itself just so I can have a link. For example:

Doc about Trees.md

# Doc about [[Trees]]
lorem ipsum...

Ideally I wouldn’t have to do that and the link to Trees could be put in the document title itself.

The document title is the filename, so this is tricky. Hard to do without giving up on the core principle that your notes are local files.

Take a look at Use H1 or front-matter title instead of or in addition to filename as display name.

It is perfectly do-able.

For example:
The title “Doc about [[Trees]]” could be simply be “Doc about Trees.md” and you could keep a mapping of filename to title somewhere in the system. If you don’t want to keep a mapping, you can choose a new character that is more compatible: “Doc about __Trees__.md” and caution users that double-underscores in filenames will be treated this way.

You can also find a way to leave them alone. On linux, this is possible. I just tested making new files with these characters ( [[ ]] and #) in the filename.

The characters are allowable in file names in Windows.