Pieces for Developers: Transforming Your Coding Workflow in Obsidian - Updates & Feedback

Hi guys, my team at https://pieces.app/ is creating a plugin for obsidian and we would love to hear some ideas from the Obsidian community.

We are an AI powered snippet curation tool that allows you to save + access your snippets across multiple platforms. Our locally operated AI models automatically create tags, related links, and much more to add context to your snippets.

We are super excited to be joining the Obsidian community and welcome conversation from everyone here!

2 Likes

Hey @csmontt, I work at Pieces.app and we are building out an Obsidian plugin built for managing code snippets. We have a suite of tools that all revolve around the developer workflow and already have a Code Reability improvement tool.

Is this something that would interest you?

The base features we are planning to build for v1 are around saving and enriching code snippets, viewing saved snippets with enriched data (tags, descriptions, related links/people), and importing saved snippets into an Obsidian note.

1 Like

Hi Obsidian community! I’m curious to learn how everyone manages their code snippets within Obsidian. What strategies have you found to be effective in keeping your code snippets organized and easy to find? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Hello, Obsidian community!

I’m Mason and I work at Pieces. We’re currently working on an exciting plugin for Obsidian and we’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Our plugin aims to revolutionize the way you manage and work with code snippets in Obsidian. Imagine being able to capture code from screenshots, generate code from natural language, and enrich your materials, all within your favorite note-taking app.

We also envision tools that can enhance code readability, convert existing code into boilerplate, and even translate between languages or frameworks. All of these features aim to make coding within Obsidian a smoother and more productive experience.

Before we dive into development, we’d love to get some feedback:

1. How do you currently manage code snippets in Obsidian?
  2. What features would you find most useful in a plugin like this?
  3. Do you have any specific concerns or suggestions for us to consider during development?

We appreciate your time and are excited to bring this plugin to life with your valuable input.

Best, Mason

1 Like

Hi :wave:t3:

If you’re looking to collect feedback, it’s probably best to stick to one thread.

1 Like

Oh I see, thank you!

We will make another post here once we officially release it.

Hey @amarionette! I work at Pieces.app and we are building out an Obsidian plugin that is all about code snippets!

We are optimizing developers’ workflows around code snippets on the web, IDE, and collaboration software with a suite of AI-powered productivity tools.

You’ll be able to easily save, enrich (auto-generated tags, descriptions, related links/people), and utilize code snippets from and to anywhere in your workflow.

Let me know if this interests you and if you have any ideas or feedback for any other features!

Hey @xidl, I work at Pieces.app and we are building out an Obsidian plugin built for managing code snippets. We have a suite of tools that all revolve around the developer workflow and already have a Code Reability improvement tool.

Is this something that would interest you?

The base features we are planning to build for v1 are around saving and enriching code snippets, viewing saved snippets with enriched data (tags, descriptions, related links/people), and importing saved snippets into an Obsidian note.

2 Likes

Have you heard about pieces? We are in the process of developing a snippet plugin for Obsidian right now! You can also reference your snippets across all our supported platforms (vscode, intellij, chrome, etc)

I moved this to share and showcase, kindly post any further updates here.

3 Likes

Hi! The idea seems to be great. I would love this tool to integrate with obsidian. Features I would like to have:

• Insert saved snippets after searching on pieces. The snippet should insert as a standard markdown codefence with the language specified.
  • Save any standard markdown codefence as a snippet to pieces with a hovering popover on the codefence for an option to save.
  • Have hotkeys for the above.
  • Enable better code formatting in obsidian (basically be able to add codefences to lists without the backticks breaking. See obsidian forum). If this is done then I would be more than happy.
1 Like

Hey @cs-mshah! These are awesome ideas and definitely are all on our list to integrate into this plugin!

We are looking to get an MVP build completed this week that will have the following:

• Onboarding flow for users to install the Pieces OS system
  • Hotkey and right-click menu to save the current selection to Pieces
  • View your code snippets in the Obsidian side panel
  • Insert your code snippets from the side panel
  • Share your code snippets via a Pieces generated link

Once we get this base version released, the next features will most likely look like this:

• Embedded functionality on the codefence for formatting, optimization, saving, etc.
  • Display suggested snippets based on your project using our local AI model
  • Search and filter your snippets in the Obsidian app
  • And more to come in the future…

If you have any other suggestions feel free to send them on this thread or join our Discord server and chat with our team and other community members there!

I will update this thread and send a message when we release v1 for Obsidian so stay tuned!

[PLUGIN UPDATE] Pieces For Developers - v0.1 MVP

Greetings Obsidian Community! :wave:

Firstly, a huge thanks to @cs-mshah and others who’ve contributed some fantastic ideas for the Pieces for Developers Obsidian plugin. We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve been hard at work putting these suggestions into action!

Our primary aim is to make your coding workflow more intuitive and powerful within Obsidian, and we are hoping to release the initial version of this plugin by the end of this week.

Here’s a sneak peek of what you can expect from our Minimum Viable Product (MVP):

1. An onboarding flow for users to easily install the Pieces OS system, which brings all of our tech local, making it super quick and secure as well!
  2. The ability to save your current selection to Pieces through a hotkey or right-click menu.
  3. A handy side panel where you can view your code snippets in Obsidian.
  4. You can also insert your code snippets from this side panel into your workspace, with built-in language formatting.
  5. Finally, You can share your code snippets with others via a Pieces generated link and say goodbye to code over email!

This is only the beginning. Once we’ve gathered your feedback and ironed out any teething problems, we’ll start adding even more capabilities:

1. Embedded functionality on the code fence for formatting, optimization, saving, etc.
  2. Suggested snippets based on your project using our local AI model.
  3. An enhanced capability to search and filter your snippets in the Obsidian app.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! There’s much more to come.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this initial release. Let us know what you think on this thread, share any bugs you encounter, and suggest ways to enhance and expand these features. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us shape this plugin to better serve you!

In addition to this thread, we invite you to join our Discord server to chat with our team and other community members directly.

Thank you for being a part of this journey, and stay tuned for the v1 release of the Pieces for Developers plugin for Obsidian!

2 Likes

[PLUGIN UPDATE] Pieces For Obsidian - v0.2

Hello again, Obsidian Community! :wave:

We’re excited to announce the all-new Pieces for Developers Obsidian plugin, designed to enrich your Obsidian experience by integrating it with other apps in your workflow and empowering you with exciting AI augmentation tools.

Base features

• Save code to Pieces: Effortlessly save your code snippets to Pieces for easy access and organization.

• Manage your snippets: With a dedicated side panel, your snippets are not just within reach, but also organized and accessible, streamlining your workflow and productivity.

• Insert snippets into Obsidian: We’ve made it easy for you to insert your saved code snippets into your Obsidian notes.

• Shareable snippet links: Now you can share your snippets with anyone using a Pieces generated link, simplifying collaboration!

Gen 2+ Features

• Suggested snippets: This feature will allow the plugin to suggest relevant snippets based on your current work.

• Explored snippets & snippet insights: Understand your code better with our snippet insights feature.

• Related snippets to the current selection: This functionality will suggest snippets related to your currently selected code.

• Right Click (Explore w/ Insights, Find Related Materials, Search): Enjoy greater flexibility with more right-click options.

• Edit Snippets: You will soon be able to edit your snippets within Obsidian.

• Filter snippets by Suggested and Alphabetical: Sort your snippets for a more efficient workflow.

• Boilerplate Transformation - Turn a snippet of code into a skeletal template to adapt it to different use cases.

• Readability Enrichment - Make code more readable and well-documented with the click of a button.

• Performance Enrichment - Effortlessly optimize your code snippets for more performant development.

While we initially aimed to release these updates last week, we’ve decided to take a little more time to perfect the new features based on the feedback received. We’re now aiming to launch by the end of this week, and we’re confident that it’ll be worth the wait.

Stay tuned for the release of Pieces for Obsidian! We can’t wait for you to see what we’ve built. Thank you for being part of this journey with us! :rocket:

2 Likes

New thread: We're Pieces.app, and we're thrilled to receive feedback and announce our beta release!