Add tag or link to picture

Possibility to add tag or link to picture in folder.

For example i am sending a lot of hand Notability notes from my meetings to special folder in obsidian and would like if i could add tag to that file/image file or add link in it in editor.

Bear for example works like that and you can just continue to write in that file where is picture.

16 Likes

You can already embed pictures via markdown into any file, and then when in preview the image is rendered like in Bear, just use:

![[Name of Image]]

Yes, i know that but then i need to open new file and emb that picture file.

But with adding option of tags in picture i could just tag that picture to find something i need or with link make connections to this topic.

Oh, I get it now. I wonder how could they achieve that without creating new files in the process, perhaps using the metadata?

+1 on this. I’m linking these requests, not exactly the same, but generally about managing non-markdown files in Obsidian

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/add-files-of-any-type-to-the-database/1275
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/display-office-files-doc-xls-ppt-in-file-browser/1913

1 Like

hi, i had an idea about adding tags and posted it at the bottom of this page:

(im a bit new to these forums, and not sure if its best to link to a file i uploaded or to attach the actual file here too but just for completness i attach it here) -

Feature Suggestions.zip (920.3 KB)

(btw, if it is already attached on the other page, can i simply copy the uploaded link, and that link will never change? or what happens if that other page gets deleted or moved etc in the future, will my copied link stop working? - i’ll attach a fresh copy here to play safe :slight_smile:

+100 on this. I really need this feature.

I can preview attachments in Obsidian, but I find it so frustrating that I can’t tag them. The only option would be to put them in a note and then tag the note.

While browsing the web, I often save lots of screenshots—Tumblr reblog chains, twitter threads, reddit posts, etc. And Instead of just letting them gather dust in my folders, I’d like to be able to meaningfully connect them to notes or other attachments in Obsidian

5 Likes

I second this. My notes are image-rich and often the image is its own atomic note. Please provide a way to tag them and/or to access the file’s intrinsic metadata in a simple way. Thank you for considering!

3 Likes

+1000

I work with pictures a lot.

It would be perfect when I could tag images directly.

Super perfect would be to have a direct preview of the image, when searching tags, e.g. I search for “#flower” and all results that are image/video only, would directly preview in the search results so I can find the best picture quickly

Thank! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hey, your usecase for Obsidian sounds A LOT like mine. Can I ask, did you find any way/method/workflow to effectively manage all of your images and link them ?

+1

I was thinking about this too. I work with pictures a lot and a feature like this would be really useful.

1 Like

+100 on this from my side, too.
I am using Obsidian to organise my whole “archive”, including pdf scans of document, e.g. invoices, contracts, etc.
When adding a tax relevant invoice or contract for example I’d really like to tag this file with a “tax”-tag to easily find all tax relevant dox when needed.

bumping this thread for any new users who feel like this feature request is relevant and important for their work

This would definitely be a huge help. A lot of what I’m archiving are images I’ve saved for reference later: pictures of warranty labels, tax documents, etc.

+1
I’m really sad that I can’t tag my images

+1
I am running into that now, where I am using Obsidian to create Photographic themes and want to tag images to these themes.

Another +1!

+1 :performing_arts::art:

I second this. I would like to import 1000s if not tens of thousands of images. It would be nice to be able to tag them.

1 Like

+1 I need this tagging features on image/pdf/attachments