Add support for link types

New-timer to this discussion, though I relate to your concerns. Perhaps this will help to disambiguate that which is not inherently ambiguous, reveal that which is extant in each note, etc. and ease your saltiness!
GraphLinkTypeDemo

Share & Showcase Thread
Github Link

I’ve been working on this - let me know what y’all think!

3 Likes

I followed the link but it seems to only affect the visual representation in the node graph. I for one don’t use that graph at all. I really want the note model itself used by obsidian to associate links with an optional type/attributes, so that those can used in queries, in search, or any other plugin via the obsidian API.

Even if a plugin were to implement all those features, it would still not live in the core and so other plugins won’t be able to use those informations. So unless it makes its way into the core, it will belong to the realm of metadatas.

Yeah, I get what you mean - it would be awesome if they were to implement them into the core.

For anyone looking for anything resembling the OP idea - that is, naming relationships between notes, here’s a dataviewJS script that does something resembling that.

It lists all notes that link to this note, while also stating their relationship.

var list = dv.pages('[[]]').sort(p => p.file.path, 'desc').map(p => p.file.link + " _" + p.file.outlinks.filter(
	outlink => outlink.path == dv.current().file.path
).map(link => dv.func.default(link.subpath, 'no annotation')) + "_")

dv.header(2, "Related")
dv.list(list)

To use this feature, link your notes like this:
[[note#your-relationship]]

For example:
[[concept#disproves]]

P.S I do not think I have to explain that it overrides the standard use-case of using # as linking to specific headers in a note. It’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for myself at least.

1 Like

How to Make Personal Knowledge Graph in Obsidian | by Volodymyr Pavlyshyn | Mar, 2024 | Medium now it is possible with graph type links plugin

@vop super interesting graph view!, an excellent example of how link types can improve the general experience.

As food for thought or inspiration for a plugin, I leave this video about graph exploration:

It makes use of link-types. For example, a link type that describes a Category, shows concepts on the left, and so on…

1 Like

I’d love to have at least basic link typing, just a way to make a note point toward another as parent or as child, this would greatly simplifies the note taking process.