Add commands to Move the current tab group to right/left

It would be nice to have commands to rearrange the position of tab groups in the UI. Note this FR is specifically about tab groups as a whole not single tabs.

The command would look like this: “Move current tab group to the right”

Related feature requests (optional)

This FR is about reordering tab groups using the mouse:

This is a similar FR but targets single tabs not tab groups:

4 Likes

Strong agree here! :heart:

Would this just rearrange them, or would it include the ability to close or merge tab groups? I’m suffering from an issue where each document opens in its own group, and being able to just close or merge them would be terribly handy.

Check out my post on this other thread. I have implemented a tab-switching plugin.

1 Like

Thanks! May I ask you if you could implement a new function that would move the tab to the left/right sidebar?

Can you share some screenshots of what you mean / desired behavior?

Normally you could drag and drop a tab to the sidebar, but that’s annoying, so a new function would help here.

Ah, I see what you mean, but I think that functionality is a little more complicated…or at least I’d have to do more research to support it.

(I am also realizing that this thread was originally about moving tab groups, not just tabs, which is also something I probably won’t try to implement)

Out of curiosity, do you move markdown files to the sidebar often? What’s your most common use case for needing to do so?