Activate search suggestion modal after pressing [[ when you have text selected to link

Use case or problem

Better handling of auto complete page names when you select some text and press [[ double brackets to add around it. I recorded a video to demonstrate (see GIF at bottom of post). I have to currently select the word/phrase, press double open bracket [[ and then I have to either just trust that whatever I have in the text is correct or that I want to just create a new page without it searching my vault. If I want to see the suggestions modal popup to search/match current page names, I then have to delete the last character so it activates the search/suggestion box.

Proposed solution

What I would like is that the box pops up as if you had typed that whole text string you selected. If no match it will say “no match found” and you can press enter to create that new page and have cursor move outside the closing ]] (like it natively does today if you just type out [[this is a new page – PRESS ENTER – ).

Current workaround (optional)

I have to currently select the word/phrase, press double open bracket [[ and then I have to either just trust that whatever I have in the text is correct or that I want to just create a new page without it searching my vault. If I want to see the suggestions modal popup to search/match current page names, I then have to delete the last character so it activates the search/suggestion box.

Supporting Details (GIF)

Related feature requests (optional)

11 Likes

Here is post in Discord to see further discussion: Discord

Previous feature request for this is here Small but big QoL: When linking a pre-existing word or phrase, display the note suggestion menu, which links a few related points (ie. Fuzzy search and an idea of “outgoing unlinked mentions”) as well. There is also a workaround in the thread if you’re using a keyboard macro program (I use Alfred on a Mac)

Related suggestion: Make order not matter for page reference or search autocomplete