Accessibility: Keyboard navigation and shortcuts for dialogs and pop-up modals

@MichaelMcDonald This! I stumbled upon that use case today and wanted to write a feature request for it. Seems like a separate feature request from the OP though

2 Likes

In addition, you would want to be able to use the arrow keys to navigate between the options in the modal dialog box

1 Like

@MichaelMcDonald this is definitely a separate feature request to that being raised in this thread BUT it is something that I consider critical too. Please make sure it is somewhere in its own thread so that it can get the correct attention.

2 Likes

Bumping this. Search results should be navigated with the keyboard. Arrow up and down throw the matches. Hit enter to open. Smile with satisfaction.

3 Likes

Sending another bump on this since keyboard navigation of these dialogs should be a basic functionality. I get it’s not a “shiny” or “cool” feature to work on / add, but it’s a quality-of-life improvement that helps those that don’t want to constantly move from keyboard -> mouse -> keyboard.

2 Likes

Bumping again. After a month. Total of five months since the idea was suggested. It’s keyboard based navigation in it’s simplest form; not exactly something that should take long to implement.

@MichaelMcDonald if you’re the only one bumping I’m afraid that’s not really gone add to your case :wink:

Bumping this one - primarily for the ability to confirm / cancel the “Delete Note” dialog. But +1 for more keyboard nav in general.

I run into this regularly (with the Delete Note confirmation in particular).

I would like to suggest that pressing ESC while a popup menu is active should close it. This is pretty standard UX across most apps/OS platforms.

Here are some examples of the popup menus I am referring to:

1. File explorer → right click on a note

2. Note editor → right click on a [[link]]

3. “Three dots” menu at top right corner of note

There are many others, but you get the idea.

8 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Accessibility: Improve Keyboard operations in editor (spellcheck popups, etc)

Esc will close popup windows. Keyboard navigation of Modals is still not implemented.

1 Like

I think the tab key for navigating options in a model box would be more appropriate, as this is what’s used in native modal windows (OS level confirm delete etc) too.

2 Likes

I would gladly settle for even being able to tab through all the modals. Can’t even do that though :frowning:

2 Likes

+1, Either the ability to use tab to cycle though buttons and enter to press button…or the ability to set a hot key for delete without confirmation and delete with confirmation

Been a few months, gonna bump this to try and get some visibility on it.

2 Likes

Wanted to bump this for a number of reasons:

1. Improved accessibility as many have mentioned
  2. Less hopping back-and-forth between mouse and keyboard
  3. Ability to automate recurring tasks that make use of modals for plugins

Bumping because a11y.

1 Like

Some of this was implemented. I think it would be better to close this FR and open specific and separate FRs for what is missing (like keyboard navigation of settings).