A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time)

If one is not prepared to learn Markdown, what is the point of using it? Using LO Writer means having to learn how to use LO Writer.

If that is the preference then why not use one of those?

I see what you mean. It seems to me that that is the idea of WYSIWYG, and I cannot see Obsidian doing it any different.

Still, we’re speculating about what the WYSIWYG feature in Obsidian will look like, if we get it.

Everybody, don’t get too fixated on Typora. It was an example to make people understand the feature.

@e12p3 If you want more than a markdown WYSIWYG editor, I think it’s better you open a separate Feature Request.

2 Likes

I don’t understand your attitude. Just as you give your argument, I present mine as well.

Markdown is a formatting tool, and just like I can—but don’t want to—understand Microsoft’s .docx xml, I don’t want it to be mandatory to regularly work in markdown (but would like to retain compatibility). Mainly because it’s tiresome. I just want to type, and I’m a visual person, preferring buttons instead of complex formatting syntax. Which doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a separate markdown editor for those that want it, like you.

Regarding your second question, I could as well ask why don’t you use Typora, then. The reason why I believe there should be a standard text editor is because I want to keep everything in one place, and not jump around between programs. But you, unlike me, already have got a pretty good markdown editor (that can, of course, be improved). Why have another quasi one?

Regarding the third comment, I don’t think the idea of WYSIWYG is a quasi-typora-like markdown-focused editor, but exactly a classic text editor that shows no markdown (while formatting everything in markdown, html, or whatever else in the background).

In short, I am focused on the content creation itself, and don’t want formatting to get in the way or present any significant amount of friction.

2 Likes

Everything can be optional. I don’t see any reason why Typora type features contradict full-featured WYSIWYG.

From my understanding from reading this topic there are some users who don’t want something as if it contradicted something they want. I am not a developer but I believe it can be done in such way that things are optional.

Why not having WYSIWYG editor that is activated / deactivated in options?

Because of backlinks and other features that Joplin or LO Writer don’t have.

Of course everything can be learned. But this is more important issue than only about what someone wants to learn. It is a question about what developers want Obsidian to be and for what kind of users. Only for markdown lovers or for a broad range of users who don’t treat it as a markdown editor but just an editor with some other excellent features that they want to use.

This is the question for developers to think about and decide for who they do this program.

Again, because they don’t provide the same features.

Sure. Good point. But the approach: “I want this, you want this, let’s figure out how to put it together” is much better than “you can use something else”.

2 Likes

@e12p3 please open a separate feature request for this. It has additional considerations technically that are out of the scope for markdown.

In addition to that, we don’t want to conflate support for markdown WYSIWYG and support for an HTML editor. It will make it easier to spot how many other users are interested in that.

2 Likes

I did. And I edited my previous posts in this thread to remove my request from here.

So, now I only advocate here for using valid arguments.

Sorry for the confusion.

@AND: Have you seen the plug-in cMenu? That goes some way to what you want. It may not be all you want, and perhaps WYSIWYG will more fully integrate your wishes, but cMenu may be a useful, temporary stop gap.

Furthermore, there is a plug-in, Budget WYSIWYG, that automatically switches between Preview mode and Edit mode based on if you are typing or not. It is in Obsidian’s Community plug-ins section.

3 Likes

Hmm, thanks for the info, I’ll try them out.

Ozan’s Image in Editor Plugin also delivers some WYSIWYG

1 Like

Yeah, it’d be great, but it’s probably technically challenging. There must be a reason why typora is the only one. And typora is pretty sluggish.

Hiding

1. hashtags in headers &
  2. URLS

using CSS has made the editor view much cleaner for me (I use markdown, not wiki links)

Instructions here: Hide or Truncate URLs in Editor using CSS? - #7 by Silver

I dislike this as well.

I’m curious how you undo the auto edits. If you hashtag, space, and type, you now have a wysiwyg H1 header and the hashtag disappears - how do you erase the hashtag, or add to it? I feel like I’d be wrestling with the editor all the time.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s why I believe a plain button- and shortcut-based text editor (that works in markdown/HTML on the source in the background) would be the best solution here. No friction, no struggle. Just select a text, click a button/do a shortcut → format is applied or removed.

You can always go back to md and fix the source if you don’t like what the editor did.

1 Like

What do we all think about the Panda markdown editor that will be part pf Bear note taking app. Free beta download is here. Quite impressive how it works with making mark down invisible. I am impressed by the table implementation. Panda - The brand new editor for Bear | Bear App

See also: A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time) - #179 by andyfreeland

4 Likes

It’s awesome seeing that the Obsidian team are currently working on a WYSIWG and that it’s now short term in their roadmap. In addition to a Typora-style edition, I’d love having an integrated toolbar (the same way it’s integrated on mobile, with shortcuts of the most used markdown features). That would make Obsidian more accessible to newbies, facilitate editing for some users/use case while having no impact on features.

4 Likes

@SuperDuperGroovy it’s been on their short term roadmap for quite a few months, so I personally am not sure it’ll ever see the light of day.

It was said to be out before the end of last year, then this year, but 8 months have gone by and an alpha-like version isn’t even out yet.

1 Like

Licat never said last year, and it wasn’t on the short-term road map until a few months ago.
He has said that he expects it to be before the end of the year, but not imminently.

3 Likes

Last year Licat definitely said it would be out before the end of the year, i.e. 2020. He or Silver even said it would be a 3rd mode in addition to Edit and Preview, and that it would be the default mode. I am very focused on WYSIWYG because I came from Typora, and am still using it for some minor work. I ardently hope we’ll get WYSIWYG

As for it being on the short-term road map, I cannot remember the exact month but it most certainly is more than 3 months, which means the notion of “short-term” is being stretched.

Now, I know the devs don’t make timing commitments and I fully understand that, which is why I did not make any comments when nothing appeared last year as the project remained long-term, despite the “end of the year” indication.

But when a project moves from long-term to short-term, to me that means its realization is imminent within the next 1-3 months.

2 Likes

Well, in December, he said

Once we add WYSIWYG, it’ll be just a 3rd mode you can choose (source mode, wisywig mode, preview mode).

2 Likes

No, he said it well before, otherwise “before the end of the year” indication would not make sense.

1 Like