A Template for Daily Notes

I saw that you had links to the previous and next day in the header. Do you add those manually? How could one do that automatically (without a plugin?)?

Thank you for the post!

4 Likes

Ah, another moment where Obsidian’s incredible speed of development impacts workflows…

I had that set up to aid in navigation on mobile and I used the Templater plugin to basically do:

[[{{Yesterday}}|<]] | {{tp_date}} | [[{{Tomorrow}}|>]]

But Templater didn’t (still doesn’t) work on mobile. Then I found out Calendar does work on mobile, so once mobile testing stabilized I started mostly using it, and since I often create my daily note on mobile first thing when I wake up and am thinking about my day, having a template that didn’t work was annoying, so I swapped back to just {{date}}

And I think literally yesterday @liam updated Calendar to work with the {{date+1}} style syntax, so I’ll probably update it to that again later because I do find being able to navigate without the side panel helpful.

To do it manually you would just use aliases, as above.

9 Likes

Great, thanks. Did you mean calendar was updated to support date + 1 or periodic notes? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Calendar 1.5.8 added support for calculating the date. Examples:

{{yesterday}}
{{tomorrow}}
{{date-1d:YYYY-MM-DD}} // yesterday
{{date+2d:YYYY-MM-DD}} // in two days
{{date+1M:YYYY-MM-DD}} // next month
{{date+10y:YYYY-MM-DD}} // in 10 years
{{date +7d}} // use default format
13 Likes

Awesome! I tried this just a few days ago and thought “too bad this doesn’t work.” Gotta keep up with all the releases :flushed:

1 Like

Incidentally, because two people have asked, My “tasking” file is pretty straightforward, it’s just:

Priority Tasking

• tasks

No Due Date

• tasks

Outstanding Tasks

Prose

• tasks

PKM

• tasks

Coding

• tasks

Computer Stuff

• tasks

I add or remove sections as needed.

1 Like

Once the tasks are marked as completed, will you removed from this tasking file and move it somewhere else?

I generally check it off and move it to an entry in the “accomplishments” section of the relevant daily note.

Can you please elaborate about the date links? Does your template literally say [[{{Yesterday}}|<]] | {{tp_date}} | [[{{Tomorrow}}|>]] or are those placemarkers? I have the Calendar plugin but I’m not understanding how to make this work automatically.

Thanks!

Yeah, I copy and pasted directly from my vault’s daily notes template file. Is it not working for you? I admit I haven’t used that format since Obsidian mobile’s sidebar plugin thing got tweaked to make the calendar come up more easily.

I figured out how to do it using Templater.

My code is now:

### [[<% tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", -1, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>|⬅]] <% tp.file.title %> [[<% tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", 1, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>|➡]]

# <% tp.date.now("dddd, MMMM Do, YYYY", 0, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>

This produces this when rendered:
with the links working correctly.

7 Likes

Can you expand a bit on this please? Do you have a formatting template set up or do you just add this daily template?

3 Likes

I need to do this for weekly notes. If you are offering :slight_smile: This is a great idea!

I added this to the daily template but also enabled the Trigger Templater on new file creation option in the Templater settings.

This way the info is added dynamically when I create the new note.

2 Likes

I prefer to put things in Kanban. Something like this. Easy and straight forward.

3 Likes

I didn’t know Obsidian could do that. Is that a plugin you’re using?

1 Like

yeah, using kanban third-party plugin. You go to the community plugin section. Search for “kanban”. You will find the plugin.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m just starting a new semester, so I’ll give that a try. Any tips you have or quirks/oddities I should be aware of?

I copied this from @ryanjamurphy and it works well, just pasted it into my daily notes template:

← [[{{date-1d:YYYYMMDD}}]] [[{{date+1d:YYYYMMDD}}]] →
3 Likes

Nice. Do you manually replace the YYYYMMDD part with the appropriate dates on each note, or are you able to automate that somehow?

1 Like