16 Obsidian Templates For Zettelkasten To Start With

More than 9 months of personal learning about how to use Obsidian with Zettelkasten.

Here is my repository containing templates and scripts for Obsidian to support the Zettelkasten method for note-taking.

If you are not using Zettelkasten you may also benefit from:

Great add-ons for Zettelkasten:

What are your experiences from using templates?

More about the 12 Principles For Using Zettelkasten

26 Likes

Edmund, thank you for your posts on Zettlekasten. You’ve really simplified the concept for me. Could you please describe what a sketchnote is?

1 Like

I’ll answer with a quote from my Zettelkasten:

Sketchnotes are rich visual notes created from a mix of handwriting, drawings, hand-lettering, shapes, and visual elements like arrows, boxes, and lines.

• Mike Rohde
2 Likes

Mike Rohde is an experience and interface designer who has created usable and compelling applications for mobile, web, and dedicated devices.

Rohde turned to experience design after 10 years as a successful print graphic designer where he first developed his sketchnote approach and technique.

@Edmund thank you for sharing!
Can you upload on github showcase-example vault, with your workflow for zettelkasten? I think that is very helpful for me and other obsidian users.

3 Likes

Please!!! , I kind lost with the tags, aliases and comments inside the templates

1 Like

… lost with the tags, aliases and comments inside the templates

Sorry for that. I 'll put these hints in a separate description to clean up the YAML. Hopefully I have a solution for the next update.

Using the tags is not trivial. But you’ll need a consistent concept to organize your notes in the long run. More about: How to Use Tags

Yes, may be I expected your question. So I had provided both:

My workflow is already available here in the forum: How to use Zettelkasten in Obsidian

4 Likes

Thank you Sensei @Edmund!
I check it today!

1 Like

@Edmund I have several question about your vault and methods.
Can I asking you in this topic? At the moment I readed your book, and reading external sources with your book.

Ask any question you would like to get answered. :slight_smile:

Edmund,

Thank you for sharing your note templates.

Your Daily template on github is only a single bullet (beyond the YAML).
Something missing?

1 Like

For me it‘s the best solution. I use the daily notes to be shown automatically within the weekly note.

I see. So you are transcluding your Daily’s into a Weekly.

I’ve been thinking about doing that, but I have structure in my Daily that I’m not ready to let go (eg, link to same day last year; files modified today; and a this-day-in-history type note that has notable things that happened today in prior years from my prior notes (birthdays, etc).
Thanks.

1 Like

And my daily notes typically consist of about 2-5 items only.

I just published my first templates for Project Notes: GitHub - groepl/Obsidian-Templates: A repository containing templates and scripts for #Obsidian to support the #Zettelkasten method for note-taking.. Any ideas for improvement?

1 Like

Hi! I am just getting started with Zettelkasten and Obsidian and yours was one of the first threads I have come across that has been as descriptive and generous with resources. I have the starter kit installed in Obsidian but I am just struggling with how exactly to use all of the elements. For example…the “My first meeting note” fleeting note looks like a template but isn’t in the templates folder. Apologies if this is obvious, but any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

All templates are within the folder „Templates“. The note you mentioned is only an example for a fleeting note. But you may also start your first fleeting note from one of the given templates. All notes are just examples for typical notes in each of the folder provided.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

In your templates, you include YAML for date created and date modified. How are you updating the modified date? Manually? Dynamically through a plugin? (I do this outside of YAML with an automatic call but would like to move to the YAML header if it automatically updates.)

Thanks.

1 Like

@anon63144152

How are you updating the modified date? Manually? Dynamically through a plugin?

Yes, I‘m using an Obsidian plugin to update the modified date. GitHub - beaussan/update-time-on-edit-obsidian

It works well on my PC. But I’m still looking for an alternative on iOS.

1 Like